Local Talk

charlton primary schools... HELP!!

(8 Posts)
nadinestreet Tue 18-Dec-12 23:39:02

Just moved to the area and need to fill in the primary application form for my daughter - what a total minefield! Have done the usual homework (ofsted & sats) but don't actually know any other mums in this area and would REALLY appreciate any pearls of advice. Specifically, if you have a child in any of the following schools, would you let me know if/how happy you are with it? Invicta, sherington, fossdene, charlton manor, cherry orchard, thorntree. Also, we're not catholic, but very close to our lady of grace and don't object to sending our children to a catholic school. Should we put it somewhere on our list or is it a waste of a choice??
Any info gratefully recieved - thanks for reading.
L

Karine05 Wed 13-Mar-13 12:57:05

Hi! Sorry you didn't get any answers by the time you were looking!
We are thinking of moving to Charlton and I have the same questions about schools. Do you have any feedback/ advice to share with me?
Would you say Charlton is a nice place to live with kids? What parts of Charlton would you recommend?
Thank you

willismcgillis Mon 18-Mar-13 16:38:12

hi all..- we are moving to charlton having lived in ny for 9 years - we have a nearly 4 year old son and 20 month old daughter - have applied to primary schools but would love any feedback on nurseries or playgroups/classes/playspaces in the area that we could start mid april, we dont know anyone that local so be great to start getting busy finding new friends.

Karine05 Thu 21-Mar-13 18:47:23

Hi willismcgillis! Don't know if it can help but I found that thread : http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_great_outdoors/a1583329-Moving-to-Charlton-Does-Anyone-Know-Where-all-the-Playgrounds-are

If I understand well, you are moving to charlton mid April? When did you apply for primary schools? Did you get answers?
We are thinking about moving there in May but I am afraid I won't get a place in a school for my 3 1/2 y old..

willismcgillis Fri 22-Mar-13 08:01:42

hi - karine - thanks for the thread - we only applied a week ago - we did a lot of research on the net looking at ofsted and performances, but based on last years no of applications and catchment areas im pretty sure we wont get into any of our preferred choices - im a little nervous that we will be allocated a school near to us that wasnt on our list..its a bit of a lottery if you dont know the schools or the area, we called the greenwich local authority and chatted to them re the schooling - one of the ladies there said she thought our area wasnt so over subscribed as surrounding areas this year so who knows..you will definately get a place for your kid but whether its a preferred choice who knows but i think that is the case anywhere in london especially as we are late applying..give the borough a call and have a chat to them..the schooling allotted areas are given out mid april so we will know then - if you move in may you still have to apply and perhaps like us will go on waitlists for your preferred choices in the meantime you will be given a place at a school as near to your house as they can find
where are you relocating from?
wm

Karine05 Tue 26-Mar-13 10:34:40

Hi wm, thanks for your reply! We are already living in south east london but we are in the process of buying in Charlton (hopefully)... Will definitely ring the borough to discuss the possibilities..
Fingers crossed you get your first choice!

duffy68 Thu 13-Jun-13 22:30:54

moving to the area in July have a 5 year old who will be trying for a yr 1 place...any ideas?Have looked at Sherrington,Cherry Orchard ,Charlton Manor and Thorntree all very different and liked them all for different reasons...if anyone has children at any of the above a little feedback would be greatly appreciated .

Tupperwife Wed 03-Jul-13 11:10:32

If you haven't settled on a place already, have a look at Windrush. We're really impressed with the staff and the building is being refurbished so very bright and friendly. Best of all, DS1 was pleased after his first settling in session yesterday smile, he will start in reception there in September.

You won't get a place at Thorntree unless you live really close, they only have 30 places. (This is still a source of amazement to family living locally, though I suppose under the old 'catchment' system you ended up with classes of 40+ which I wouldn't be happy about either)

I've been amazed at the difference in wrap around provision in primaries, and have friends in other parts of the borough really stressing about before/ after school care. It's not something that we even thought to ask about blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now