Local Talk

Is Greenwich good for long term childhood without private schools?

(4 Posts)
UrbanFamily Sun 20-Jan-13 01:51:41

I've been exploring the Greenwich area (main Greenwich area, Maze Hill, Westcombe Park, Blackheath) and fell in love with it.

Spoke to one local mum and she said..state primary schools are good, but people move out after their kids reach secondary school age.

Fair? I don't want to go private for my three kids...sad

johnstown Thu 24-Jan-13 18:19:50

I live here too and love the area, I have done a lot of research on secondary schools as I have three children also. I can only say that I think they are really improving, and getting continually better every year. The government is putting a lot of money into the secondary schools. Thomas Talis had a £50m investment over the last 2 years and John Roan is currently being completely re done also. There are two new schools, The Greenwich Free school opened in 2012, and another one is to open in 2014 I think. Also you have the option of doing the 11+ with your children and then they can apply to the grammars.

UrbanFamily Mon 11-Mar-13 16:57:15

That is good to know. Thank you JohnsTown.

SyBloke Thu 13-Jun-13 12:38:49

Also live in local area, and agree with johnstown. John Roan in particular seems to be improving strongly. Greenwich borough was until recently quite unbalanced in regard to Secondary education, particularly for boys (there are several state and private schools for girls, but until recently no boys schools). The few secondary schools in the north of the borough were clustered in Blackheath & Kidbrooke, with no provision in the population centres - Woolwich in particular. Three new schools have now started up (inc the GFS, which is over-subscribed) which will better serve Woolwich & Charlton, and take the pressure off those which should be serving SE10/SE3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now