Local Talk

Nurseries Blackheath, Greenwich & Lewisham areas

(24 Posts)
SarahandImogen Tue 03-Jun-08 12:47:16

Has anyone else had problems with getting a nursery space in the above areas? We have been on lists since early January for a space in September & as yet have no space, though we are top of the list with two nurseries. Just wondering if this is the norm?

paow Mon 09-Jun-08 10:54:55

Oh yes, very much so.
I put ds' name down in the waiting list when I was 7 months pregnant!

jkklpu Sat 14-Jun-08 12:41:58

Doubt it's any easier than >2 years ago when I started looking for ds1. Eventually I got p-t place at work nursery, which is fab, and means we can thole the commute. And just heard have place there for ds2 for when I go back to work p-t in 6 weeks.

Have you tried Catherine House in Lewisham? I liked it but too far away from me. Friend's ds is v happy there.

SarahandImogen Mon 16-Jun-08 09:50:48

Yes tried Catherine House but didn't even bother to visit as they wanted a wopping £125 (bearing in mind we had already shelled out £150 for three waiting lists) just to be added to their waiting list & no spaces until 2009. We have just been offered 4 days at Headstart now - thank the Lord. Not quite sure what we will do for the 5th day, but it's a start. I just wanted to highlight the difficulties for any other expectant parents as I had no idea. I looked at some of the application forms online when I was pregnant & because most of the information they required couldn't be given until after the birth, I assumed that registering that early wasn't nessecary. I have found that it is now common for couples trying to conceive to add themselves to waiting lists of their nursery of choice. Expectant parents be warned!!

jkklpu Mon 16-Jun-08 14:19:36

wow - think it was only 50 quid a couple of years ago
congrats on getting something

paow Mon 16-Jun-08 16:22:20

Hi, ds' nursery is being refurbished and has new managment. They lovely baby room is ready and they are taking some new kids now.
I am not very sure about the waiting list, but might not be too bad for a little while.
It's the Blackheath Day nursery.
P

SarahandImogen Mon 16-Jun-08 19:14:35

Thanks paow. Headstart was actually our 1st choice & is one of our closest nurseries. We didn't visit Blackheath Day nursery as traffic would be murder for us to get accross Blackheath from Lee, as it's not on either of our routes to work. I am waiting to hear from my work if they will let me drop a day & failing that I think DH can cover the fifth day by juggling his hours around.

meninas Tue 13-Apr-10 11:28:03

I would like to know your common issues and problems related choosing a pre school, what are you looking for? How difficult is to find space? etc.
It was such a big step for me and my son, at first i was looking for the best Pre School in the area but i found that, the best one had long wait list and in that point I could not get the days i want and the Pre School of our choice. What nightmare was! and then I started to look around and you will find quite i lot nursery /pre school but you wont dare to leave your precious little ones there. I already gave up work cos i wasn't happy with my child's Nursery so as qualified Nursery Nurse I thought i could provided better care to my child so i became Childminder providing a good service.
Now my child moved on to School and i want to go back what i enjoy to do the most which is working with Pre School kids.
Ultimately, choosing a preschool is a personal decision and I believe a great preschool will go beyond merely letting you in; it will invite you to become part of it.
I did eventually got a place of pre school of my choice but, not on the days i need and the time i want it but, i was determined to get my son in so he could gets the experience and help he needs to gain an appreciation of what school is like and a positive attitude toward school. It worked for him and He is doing so well at School. Mission accomplished.
I have a project to starting a Pre School in a nice location, I can change my registration from childcare provider on domestic premises to on non-domestic premises. So please send me your views Cheers

BarbaMamma Thu 22-Apr-10 10:52:08

When some friends and I applied for nursery spaces four years ago we only had to wait a few months to get in - am amazed that this has changed so much since. We used Lingfield nursery in Kidbrooke Grove - it was very good in many ways. They also have a branch in Hither Green.

greenwichpark Fri 30-Apr-10 20:54:52

Our child has been offered a Reception place at Blackheath Prep and Pointers. Can anyone advise on the differences, benefits and drawbacks (if any!) for both of these schools?

I've heard they're both very good. Thanks in advance for any help.

icancancan Sun 02-May-10 21:59:57

do a search for both pointers and BP on here. prefer BP myself

TKW Sun 27-Jun-10 11:25:38

The Kids Workshop pre-school

The Kids Workshop is a brand new pre-school that runs mornings, afternoons and full day sessions from Monday to Thursday ( 8:30 to 11:30 and 12:00 to 15:00 ) for kids aged 2 to 5.
The Kids Workshop aims to provide a safe environment with large variety of activities that stimulate children's intellects, promotes good health, self-esteem, sparks their imaginations and lots fun...

The Kids Workshop has a professional, experienced staff who are dedicated to giving your child the best start to their education.

We welcome the opportunity to show you our wonderful pre-school and introduce you to our staff. For more information or to arrange a visit please telephone or email us and we will be in touch.

Elsie Marshall Memorial Hall , Vicarage Avenue , Blackheath, London, SE3 7JT

030668 Sat 02-Jul-11 11:15:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

shanaya Mon 11-Jul-11 11:45:49

Hi,

Can any 1 advice me how is Blackheath high school.or any suggestion which Private school is best in southeast london

michelle325 Mon 19-Sep-11 14:30:38

Find All nurseries in Lewisham, Greenwich And Blackheath

Day nurseries in Lewisham
Day nurseries in Blackheath
Day nurseries in Greenwich

setphaserstostun Tue 08-Nov-11 13:35:44

Hi

Saw an article in the Mercury about a new nursery that's opening in Blackheath called RIMU. It's going to run from the Sunfields Methodist Church which is a great new building.

RIMU has an open day tomorrow (9th November). www.rimu.co.uk

setphaserstostun Wed 11-Jan-12 21:36:51

I know a number of people are on waiting lists in the area but the new nursery above (RIMU at Sunfields Church) is now offering a Day Nursery and Term Time Nursery and seems to be quite flexible. The church building is great. I see they have another open day on Saturday 21st January from 3pm-5pm.

taylasmummy Sat 21-Jan-12 08:54:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

AlisonPR Wed 28-Mar-12 19:55:35

Does anyone have their children at teddies? Would be interested to hear any feedback

A friend had her DC at Teddies in Eltham last year and thought it was great.

Rach2583 Wed 25-Apr-12 15:54:00

Hi

I am finding it really hard to get a space for my ds for feb next year. Anyone know if smarteenies in Greenwich is any good? I have him on waiting list there. Going to visit Catherine house as my friend uses them and says they are good.

Quaggy, Robert Owen, and Rachel McMillan are either full or we are not in catchment area.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 15:55:11

There are currently spaces at Thames Tiddlers, on Red Lion Lane Post 16 Campus. Shooters Hill.

M6423 Tue 12-Jun-12 10:04:59

I visited a new nursery Inchmery road, SE6. Its called sunshine day nursery, they are currently taking registrations and offering a hefty discount for the first few children, only registered for age 2-5 however they say they will be taking babies soon. Lovely nursery home from home environment they are listed on lewisham website, well worth a look.

Joglo Thu 07-Feb-13 10:44:59

I am looking for mums or dads in Lewisham who use:-
Child care
Child Minders
Nursery
Pre School Clubs
Breakfast Clubs
Kid Zones
It is a campaign for quality accessible, affordable child care and if you meet the criteria then you will be invoted to a group discussion with other parents and you will be paid for your time.
The group discussion will be taking place in Lewisham on 19th or 21st February.
Please contact Lin on 07736 524217 for further information or e-mail lin.nutt@talktalk.net

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now