Local Talk

Moving to Woking / Guildford villages

(28 Posts)
Pinkjoop Mon 09-Jan-12 16:34:25

Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for some advice on where I could move to around Woking / Guildford please. We're moving from a middle-class, prosperous area of SW London because we can't afford to buy a decent size house in this area.

We've got many concerns namely leaving friends behind, having to commute to London, moving to an entirely new area but still wanting to feel like we can be part of London life if we choose (!) and also having the nice delis and coffee shops available to us.

We're looking for a village location rather than a town and don't mind driving to the station. Villages we've looked at are Ripley, Send, Pyrford and Ottershaw. From what I can gather Ripley is quite exclusive but properties rarely come on the market, Send doesn't seem to be quite so prosperous (but we've seen a nice house there) and Ottershaw and Pyrford I know very little about. Can anyone provide any more info please, ideally about Send and Ottershaw? We're trying to recreate the area we're in now but in Surrey plus the added benefits of the countryside, nice long walks and lovely country pubs. I did lots of research prior to posting this but none of the previous questions quite answered my queries.

We had considered the Guildford villages - Bramley, Wonersh etc. but got a little bit freaked out at feeling a bit too far from friends.

Any tips on whether these areas might fit the bill would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for your help and I hope I don't come across too snobbish.

x
PS Schools aren't an issue for us right now but will be in the future.

We live in St Johns and love it.
We have the basingstoke canal running behind our garden, a short walk along that we are on the lye and it' lovely woods.
St Johns village is very pretty, with the canal running through it and it has a recently opened deli and coffee shop grin
Schools here are very good at primary level and you have the choice of two good secondary schools too (one in St Johns, one in Woking itself)
Woking was always a bit of an ugly duckling but the town centre is undergoing renovation and is becoming quite nice. Plus it has two theatres, a huge recently renovated library and a half-decent assortment of shops (the latter will hopefully continue to improve as the town is regenerated)
I like Woking and find myself defending it a fair bit smile

Another plus for St Johns is that it is an 11 minute cycle ride along the canal towpath into Woking.
Great for us as a family for trips to the library or shoe shop for instance, great for 13 year old ds who can cycle in and spend his pocket money or meet friends at the cinema, and great for commuters - an easy ride to the station.

SendMum Wed 12-Sep-12 07:35:24

Hi I live in Send and love it! I understand all your concerns as we too were living in a nice area of south London (east Dulwich) and were forced to move due to house prices and needing more space. I can honestly say Send is a lovely village with a great local community and a lovely school. We live just near the recreation ground and have met loads of fantastic neighbours who have already become good friends (lots of people who have moved from London like us). I do miss the shops and delis but I can honestly say that's the only thing I miss. The countryside round send is lovely and there is loads to do with kids. Ripley is prettier and wealthier but the speed of traffic off the a3 would worry me and it's a bit snooty too! Send is much friendlier. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now