Local Talk

Moving to Winchester

(9 Posts)
Roobys Sun 29-Aug-10 17:46:22

Hi there
Me and my three kids, all teenagers now! Are moving into Winchester after Christmas 2010, can anyone recomend a decent area and High School?
Also if anyone knows of anyone who has a 3/4 bedroom house to let, that would be great!
Thanks Mums x

Asia01 Sun 05-Sep-10 19:06:25

Hi there,

Good areas that are central are St Cross, Hyde, Fullflood but some of the villages outside Winchester are lovely.

There are lots of very good schools in Winchester. Kings School is good .... Ofted will quickly help you identify the good ones.

Good luck!

hugglymugly Sun 05-Sep-10 20:14:23

I really can't offer advice about schools because my DC are adults and anyway went to schools in Southampton. But many of their friends went to one or other of the three secondary schools here (Westgate, Kings, Henry Beaufort) and all seemed to do well. I live in Fulflood on one of the roads used by students on their way to Westgate and they all seem pretty nice young people.

I can give a little bit of advice regarding lettings agents who are local rather than a branch of a nationwide organisation, if that would be useful. One is the one we use for our rented-out property - Winchester Letting Company www.winchesterletting.co.uk/. They are very helpful to us as landlords, especially in terms of making sure we are up-to-date on all our responsibilities. They have found us some lovely tenants.

Another lettings agent is Belgarum www.belgarum.com/, which do house sales as well as house lets. They seem to have a lot of boards up in this area. And my son has recently found a new flat through them, and was impressed by their efficiency.

A comment that my DH has just made about where to live, is to think about how easy it will be for them to get to school/Peter Symonds (for A levels, etc), and also into town to meet up with friends. As Asia says, there are some lovely villages not very far outside the Winchester City boundary but it would be worth looking at public transport timetables to see how they would fit in with teenagers and their social lives!

fatfreewannabe Sun 26-Sep-10 19:14:38

Hi, we are moving to Chandlers Ford during Oct half term week with my 4 year old son who has recently started reception year, so big changes for us all. I don't know the area or anyone in it so would love to meeet anyone local. Also want to get fit and lose some weight. So anyone wanting a fitness buddy pls give me a thought. Would also be nice for Jamie to make some new friends. We don't yet have a school place for him but I'm hoping to get him into St. Francis primary.

clutterqueen Tue 04-Jan-11 13:33:53

Hi
Just recently found this board.
FatFree - I have a 4 year old DS too and would be happy to meet up. I moved here 2.5 years ago and was grateful for anyone open to meeting new people so feel I should do the same!

guineapiglet Wed 14-Mar-12 20:35:39

Hi there, another family moving to Winchester and would be glad of any contacts/help or advice. We are having a big family move over the summer, with children starting at 6th form college and in year 7 at high school. We are desperate to find a three to four bedroom house to rent from May time onwards if anyone has any ideas, we live about 300 miles north, so it is going to be tough on the whole family, but we need to move for job reasons, so have decided we need to get on with it. Do get in touch if you have any ideas!!!! Thanks.

Lottsie Sun 18-Mar-12 20:31:27

Hi there. Saw your post & noticed wasn't too long after I posted my original thread. I'm moving to Win summer time also & have 2 DC's - aged 10 & 9.
Will also be looking to rent from July/ Aug onwards. Try Penyards; they seem a good local site for rentals.
Hope as another Winchester newbie we can meet up in the Summer.

guineapiglet Mon 19-Mar-12 13:44:20

Hi and thanks for post - will follow your advice. We seem to have spent the past year clearing various hurdles, residence addresses, school applications etc and life here carrying on with children taking GCSEs whilst all this is going on!!
May see you at some house viewings then..... where are you moving from?
It would be lovely to have a contact when we finally get moving.

Lottsie Fri 30-Mar-12 02:05:15

Hi there. Am moving from London (I've heard half of Winchester is made up of ex-Londoners)! Have messaged a couple of other girls who are also moving so there should be a few of us who will be new to the area and the more the merrier. I'll private message u my contact details & we can meet up once we're both there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now