Local Talk

New to the area

(89 Posts)
MogandMe Sun 24-Jul-11 23:11:34

Hi All.

I am new to Winchester and looking to make some friends.

DC 3.9 and I have been to several groups/activities in the area since moving but haven't yet found any friends (or people who want to talk to us sad )

Would be lovely to meet some others in the Winchester area.

new2winchester Mon 25-Jul-11 22:25:49

Hello,
I am moving to Winchester at the start of October and would love to meet some other people, especially other mums with babies/toddlers. My little boy is just turning one. Also any suggestions of any groups on Thursdays or Fridays or weekends gratefully received!
Thanks,
Liz

winkygirl Mon 01-Aug-11 12:05:23

MogandMe sorry to hear that you haven't met any friendly Winchester Mums. It can be a bit clichey at times but do persevere.

I have DD 5 and DS 3.5 and work part time so I do not do much in the way of groups/activities now. On Fridays I have been taking DS to Music with Mummy, Josie Dade in Stanmore. We LOVED the classes which are designed for 1 - 3 year olds. DS is starting 3/4 time with Josie in September which is music/drama and the next stage on from Music with Mummy.

A couple of years ago I found Christchurch Toddlers on Tuesdays and Fridays good. It is the big church on Christchurch Road near the uni/hospital. They have free-play then stories and songs. The organisers are very friendly.

MogandMe is your DC at preschool? Mine is starting in September and our preschool is asking for committee members so maybe yours would be too? I wish I had more time to do stuff like that but am promising myself I will join the PTA at primary school.

Final suggestion would be NCT. I was a member and there is plenty of stuff going on.

CurwySwide Mon 01-Aug-11 19:45:36

Hi MogandMe and newtowinchester - what part of Winchester are you in/moving to? Different parts of the city have different local baby/toddler groups and if you want to meet other parents whose children will go to the same preschool/primary as yours, then it may be useful to go to the ones most local to you - I can suggest some if that would help?

There are a number of nice playgrounds, such as the one next to the River Park leisure centre, the one in Abbey Gardens near to the Guildhall and one at Oram's Arbour near to Fulflood, where it can be that bit easier to get into a conversation with other parents - I know from experience how intimidating toddler groups can be when you know nobody but everybody else knows each other!

Also the leisure centre has a few good drop-in baby/toddler groups - Creepy Crawlies runs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and have lots of play equipment and either a bouncy castle or large trampoline - again this can be an easier way to engage with other parents than the traditional baby/toddler group setting.

Hope this helps - let me know if you'd like any more info. I live in Winchester and have a little boy who will be three in September so know a bit about the local facilities!

cookieface Fri 12-Aug-11 08:36:32

Hi all,

We moved to the area 2 months ago. My DD is 3.4 and looking for buddies (me too, though i do work 3 days a week). I was recommended the drop in sessions at Lanterns before the school hols, but didn't manage to make it there. We may try them again next term. Would be more than happy to meet up sometime if you are interested?

new2winchester Thu 08-Sep-11 21:11:53

Hello,
Thanks to all for the tips - we are moving to just south of St Cross, near the park and ride! I'd love to meet up with some local mums once we get settled - I'll have Thursdays and Fridays free. I will need to get my bearings as to where things like the leisure centre are, I've only ever visited Winchester for a few hours.
Will post again once we have moved.....

Woo hoo!

linky to another thread..

CurwySwide Fri 09-Sep-11 23:20:05

Hurrah - a local thread - hope to see other Winchester people here soon!

MogandMe Sat 10-Sep-11 20:28:40

Hi

We're in Harestock - have met some people since I started this thread which is good!!! grin

Maybe we should arrange a group meet maybe soft play at riverside one afternoon.

Amber77 Tue 13-Sep-11 20:42:05

Hello,
Im new to communicating like this so am not sure if its right to 'butt in' this thread!
Im also new to Winchester & would love to meet up with other mums. MogandMe suggested a group meeting, has this happened? I'd love to come along too : )

MogandMe Tue 13-Sep-11 21:05:51

Hi Amber

We haven't sorted out a date yet - where are you?

Amber77 Tue 13-Sep-11 21:31:07

Hi!
Im in Hyde, Winchester nr River Park Leisure Centre. Are you nearby? Im happy to use buses to get around.

MogandMe Tue 13-Sep-11 21:38:05

I live in Harestock and have a 3.11 year old boy. We tend to get into the city most days smile thanks to being on the number 1 bus route! grin

Hi Amber. I'm in Twyford but we go to the park by River Park quite a lot. I have one toddler boy, 22mo

Anyone have date/location preferences?

CurwySwide Wed 14-Sep-11 08:58:36

Hi all - sorry for not responding sooner - things are rather hectic as we are moving house this weekend!

I am in Fulflood so am pretty central. My son has just turned three.

River Park may be a good central point?

prolificwillybreeder Wed 14-Sep-11 09:05:42

Hello, I live near Winchester and have a 14 month old and a newborn. Would love to meet up if there is a group meet up?
Feeling pretty isolated here at the moment.
NCT is a good idea, I'll look at their website.

prolificwillybreeder Wed 14-Sep-11 09:07:00

I'm also on a bus route though as we live in dinky village they run once a blooming hour!

CurwySwide Wed 14-Sep-11 12:48:42

prolificwillybreeder - do i take it from your username that you have two little boys? grin

prolificwillybreeder Wed 14-Sep-11 12:50:51

Why yes! What gave that away? grin

grin at prolific's name! I'm waiting to find out if I'm a willy-breeder too (20wks with DC2)

When's a good time for people then? We often go to the River park play area on weekday afternoons, about 3ish

LieInsAreRarerThanTigers Wed 14-Sep-11 13:05:28

Hi welcome to Winchester. I have been here 3 years now and my dc are a bit older (6 & 11). My neighbour Liz runs a toddler group at Badger Farm Community Centre (next to Sainsburys) on Thursday afternoons.

prolificwillybreeder Wed 14-Sep-11 13:21:06

Weekdays are good, 3ish may be a little late for us, ds1 has his tea at 4 and his stomach is like a clock!
We've lived in or around Winch for years but since having the boys I've just felt quite lonely tbh.

prolificwillybreeder Wed 14-Sep-11 13:21:52

Eek! Good luck at your scan mistressploppy! You must let us know smile

MogandMe Wed 14-Sep-11 13:40:15

I can do any afternoon but Thursday if before 4pm. Otherwise anytime's good for us - maybe river park soft play or the discovery centre for cake grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now