Local Talk

Fancy coming to a book club?

(11 Posts)
Leenypies Wed 06-Jun-12 20:10:09

Calling all residents of Weeke, Teg Down, Harestock, Fulflood and Littleton (or anywhere else in Winchester, it doesn?t really matter)?

I would like to start up a book club locally as I am missing the one I attended for years in London before we moved down recently. I currently live in Weeke, but will soon be moving to Teg Down.

The book club would be held at a different member?s house every 4-6 weeks, probably reading Booker Prize-type stuff rather than classics or chick-lit. All those attending could bring a bottle or nibbles if they want to, the club would be fairly informal (i.e. semi-serious chat about book plus general gossip) and would generally be held on weekday evenings at around 7.30-8pm (we?d synchronise diaries at the end of each meet-up to set the next date). It would be a great way to meet new people and talk about one thing we would all have in common (love of books).

This invitation isn?t just aimed at mums or ladies, so if you know of anyone else who might be interested then please respond on their behalf.

Let me know if this is your cup of tea!

Thanks.

Bicnod Thu 07-Jun-12 14:08:10

Yes please! I know a couple of other mums who might be up for it a well...

guineapiglet Wed 13-Jun-12 16:29:41

Hi - this sounds like a brilliant idea, I have been a regular member of a book club where we live at present. Hoping to move over the summer, so please count me in with the arrangements if it gets off the ground.

StevenMH Tue 26-Jun-12 12:20:20

Hi readers - if you need help ordering books through the library service please contact winchester.discovery.centre@hants.gov.uk - we organise books for over 50 book groups at the moment and always welcome more!

Steve

necklaceofraindrops Sat 30-Jun-12 21:35:15

Hi Leenypies,

I'd be interested in this too. I live in Teg Down too so I hope your move went well.

guineapiglet Fri 06-Jul-12 13:55:59

Hi - we are moving down in August, so not sure if there have been any developments with the book club. We are just off Sarum Road, and I would be very happy to host once we are in situ, and out of boxes !!

Leenypies Mon 09-Jul-12 14:42:13

Hello potential book clubbers.

So far we have 9 interested parties. I'd like to have a few more so there's still 7 or 8 people attending each meeting when the rest can't come for whatever reason.

But it's definitely looking good, and I reckon we'll get started in September.

Speak soon!

BarnesBabe Thu 12-Jul-12 12:33:14

Hi Leenypies, I'm interested! Well done on organizing! Hope your move went well! We've been here 6 weeks and still have some boxes that I just can't face unpacking!

Fiftyshadesofposset Wed 01-Aug-12 09:25:15

Hi LP,
Just come across your book club idea..would be interested to join. Have you arranged a meet up?

Leenypies Wed 01-Aug-12 21:09:00

Hi FSOP

No date organised yet, but I have added you to the list. That makes 11 of us so far, which is great. Now is the time to put a date in the diary, so I will put my mind to it this week (if I can take my eyes off the Olympics in the evenings...).

guineapiglet Thu 09-Aug-12 14:18:29

Hi - just to say am still interested in the book club, have finally moved down to Wcr, so let me know if I can help with arrangements. Probably wouldnt be able to host more than about 6 at present, we are renting and still in boxes, but maybe small is beautiful to get us all going. Do get in touch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now