Local Talk

Schools in/around Winchester

(8 Posts)
pupsiecola Sat 30-Mar-13 11:38:25

Hi there. I have year 5 and year 3 boys. We are currently living overseas but it's not working out so we're looking at returning to the UK, probably in June/July.

We only moved here (South East Asia) last June so am exhausted at the prospect of schools/housing research and decisions again already.

We would either like to be in Winchester or a village very nearby. We have missed the boat in terms of admissions, obviously, so it would need to be somewhere with spaces for my boys (going into years 6 and 4 from September).

If anyone can please give me something to start my research from I would very very much appreciate it.

Thank you...

OfKingsWorthy Mon 01-Apr-13 20:11:16

Hi Pupsiecola, I know admission into reception year has got increasingly competitive in Winchester in the last few years. I have DD in year 2 and a DS in reception at Kings Worthy Primary. DD has new classmates joining from time to time suggesting that admission at an older age is not so difficult. I cannot speak for other schools though grin

There is quite a wide variety of schools. Some very small, some with two form entry. Do you have a preference?

twinklemitchell Thu 04-Apr-13 22:17:05

I have just got my children into school just south of Winchester but it was a battle....looked at Compton, Tywford, Chandlers Ford, Otterbourne, Hursley...and only just managed to get two spaces in one school by the skin of my teeth for the kids to start after Easter.
Emma

pupsiecola Sat 06-Apr-13 08:48:48

Thanks everyone. Emma I have PM'd you.

I have written to 26 schools. I have had the following replies:-

6 schools - no spaces and waiting lists
20 schools - no answer yet due to hols
1 school - has spaces for both boys but is in special measures
1 school - 8 miles south of Winchester has spaces for both

Will see if I get any other choices although I am very grateful for the one 8 miles out. We just really wanted to live closer to the city.

Talkinpeace Sat 13-Apr-13 20:45:58

try Ampfield

cuckooplusone Thu 18-Apr-13 19:36:13

Hello

I live in Winchester. I have heard that some of the most popular schools have not filled all of their reception places this year and I know that my friend's daughter was able to get a place at her preferred school after a period on a waiting list. I suggest you take a look at the schools and give it a go. Winchester is a fantastic place to live.

cuckooplusone Thu 18-Apr-13 19:38:46

Also, have you tried Sparsholt? Lots of kids in the north of Winchester/Littleton/Crawley go there, bus collects the kids.

pupsiecola Mon 22-Apr-13 13:10:29

Thank you so much Cuckooplusone. We are so lucky - we've got places for both boys at a very good school in Chandler's Ford. They start on 15th May! Busy packing up our lives in South East Asia. I've bought a car, which my parents are looking after for us, and now have a house lined up too. Phew!! Most of the other schools came back and said either no spaces, or spaces for just one DS. Feel very very lucky! DH will be joining in a few months, back once a month in the meantime.

Anyone else new to CF? Or have boys ages 10 and 8? It's been a tough year for the DSs and we're all keen to make some new friends :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now