Winchester - Oliver's Battery or East of City preschools and primary schools?

(9 Posts)
MummytoMiaGrace Tue 03-Nov-15 09:53:48

Hi Winchester mums,

We are moving to Winchester in the new year and are considering putting offers on houses in either Arlesford Road or Oliver's Battery North. Our favourite is Arlesford Road currently but we're keen to base our decision around the schools in the area. The primary school catchment areas are for All Saints and St Peter's respectively. I'd love to hear some honest views on both areas and schools before we make a decision. For instance I've heard the Highcliffe area doesn't have a good reputation? And is St Peter's by a council estate? Happy with a school with a social mix but am starting from zero knowledge, so excuse my ignorance! Any pointers on preschools also welcome - I have a 3 year old and we are expecting our second (a little boy) in January.

Thank you so much!

Doris133 Sun 27-Dec-15 19:29:34

Can I please jump in on this thread as I was about to post about Winchester schools as well. We are moving to Badgers Farm at the end of March (all being well with the house purchase and renovations!) and are looking for school places for our two boys aged 5 and 7. They are currently in Year 1 and Year 2.

Having phoned St Faiths and St Peters they have confirmed they have no space which leaves us with Stanmore. I visited the school and liked what I saw but would like to hear others opinions whether positive or negative. Especially from people who live in Badgers Farm with children at Stanmore.

Thank you in advance!

artiee Wed 09-Mar-16 14:52:05

Hello we are hopefully moving over the summer and have been looking around and investigating catchments, any advice would be appreciated, though it doesn't look like any one in posting replies. perhaps the two ladies who have posted the queries and are now in winchester might be able to help? I have a 3 year old and 15 month old, I've looked at olivers battery and olivers battery road north and nightingale close and peters field road so far. Any advice on good preschools too?

tarheelbaby Sat 26-Mar-16 14:42:50

Winchester-area mum here: Probably you've all made your decisions by now. As far as I'm aware, most schools in the area are good. My girls (yr4 & yr1) go to our village school but I have not heard any bad comments about particular schools in other villages or in central Winchester. Until recently, a friend worked in the office at Stanmore Primary and reported that its previous reputation was unfounded and unfair - that it was a perfectly nice school where she'd be happy to send her 3 dcs if they were not already settled.
Elsewhere on mumsnet, perhaps a few years ago, I saw a fairly thorough discussion about Winchester area schools so if you haven't already you might like to search the site.
Hope this helps.

Odgehog Sat 26-Mar-16 15:17:42

St. Peter's has a great rep but is difficult to get into unless catholic I think? Stanmore's great I know plenty of professional people who have chosen it over the 'posher' st faiths. Oliver's battery have always been the poor relation in Winchester school terms but they've just had a really positive ofstead and I think things are improving.

MummytoMiaGrace Mon 18-Apr-16 19:48:21

Thanks so much for your input everyone. We weighed everything up and went for the East of city house with potential options to get into All Saints and/or St Peter's as we're Catholic (but not sure whether catchment takes precedence- we've taken a punt). we have landed, I'm really keen to meet people. Can anyone recommend any baby groups or toddler groups or any social groups in Winchester as I don't know anyone - but so happy to be here. No wonder Winchester got best place to live in the UK 🙂

Any input would be really appreciated.

DesperatelySeeking2016 Sun 15-May-16 19:40:14

Hello and welcome! I haven't been to a toddle group for a while as am back at work but a popular one was Christchurch toddlers on a Tuesday, and creepy crawlies at the leisure centre is fun too. PG Wells in college street had a story telling session, think it is on a Wednesday. I hope you are settling in and have made some friends xx

blueberryhedgehog Wed 18-May-16 13:25:43

The Discovery Centre (library) on Jewry street have regular rhyme time and story time events that might be worth checking out - free to go to as well.

Kt1991 Sat 28-May-16 19:45:20

I live in Winchester and I take my little boy to a really nice toddler group on a Friday morning at Hope church which is in town by Iceland. Highly recommended it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now