Move to Chandlers Ford

(7 Posts)
lulusa Fri 26-Aug-16 11:56:42

Hi everyone - this is my first post here so bear with! We are moving from South Africa to (possibly) Chandlers Ford and I'd just like to know if anyone has any advice about the area (good parts/bad parts) etc as we know nothing about Hampshire at all! Also, my son will be starting Secondary school so any advice there would also be hugely welcome. Thanks. x

CFmum2 Sat 03-Sep-16 07:03:59

Hi,
Chandlers ford is lovely, a really nice area to live. It doesn't really have any bad areas to live in, but if you want to be picky I'd avoid the Velmore (south east) part. It is a large residential area. If I were moving new into the area, I would rent first in valley park or Knightwood areas in chandlers ford. As although they are new housing with small gardens, it has loads of greenery & you'll make friends there easily for you & your son.

There are 2 secondary schools in CHF itself. Thornden & Toynbee, both excellent. Some kids in area go to Kings (Winchester), mountbatten (romsey) , both good, or (the less highly performing crestwood & alderman quilley, which have just joined up, 2 sites- boyatt wood & Eastleigh. Still not bad schools though). Check school reports from Ofsted site.
I hope this is helpful.

lulusa Sat 03-Sep-16 07:13:27

Thanks so much for the advice. Greatly appreciated.

HaPPy8 Sat 03-Sep-16 07:58:11

Just to say I agree with all above! its a nice area with good schools you can't really go wrong.

User68534603134 Sat 03-Sep-16 09:33:34

It's a nice area, no real problem areas, very quiet, good links to Southampton, Eastleigh, Winchester for shopping etc. If you're applying in-year for your son (I.e. he is already secondary age) you may not have much choice of schools, but if you're applying normally make sure you're living in catchment for the school you want. Thornden in particular is popular, although Toynbee is also a good school.

IdaPida Sat 03-Sep-16 09:56:12

Nice and quiet area, if that's what you like smile Schools are fine, easy to get to Southampton where you have good shopping. Also half an hour ish from Basingstoke, where there is also good shopping, and swimming pool / ice skating and stuff like that.

lulusa Sat 03-Sep-16 10:15:05

Good to know. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now