Local Talk

Anyone used the Surestart centres in Basingstoke?

(12 Posts)
Wonderstuff Tue 14-Jul-09 21:47:40

Reviews? Good? Bad? I think Oakridge is my local one..

kys Wed 15-Jul-09 09:27:49

Hi wonderstuff, I use the one in Buckskin a few times a wk, my ds's nursery is next door and we have to walk through the centre to get out. We normally end up staying an hr to play. Its ideal for me because it caters for such an age range, so lots to do for ds who's four and the children I mind who are all under two.
The only downside for me is that you always end up with a few children totally running riot and not being supervised, but you get that anywhere.

Wonderstuff Fri 17-Jul-09 14:17:34

Thanks kys - will venture out to check ours out.

Meglet Fri 17-Jul-09 14:23:23

I haven't used them yet. TBH I don't understand whether they are in one building and open all day, every day (ie: anytime for coffees / playing, plus other acivities at certain times) or the building is only open for certain parts of the day. I've seen lots of flyers and timetables for surestart but some of the activities are in different places. I think the timetable for the Oakridge one had a couple of activies in a hall in town, so I'm confused, which is easily done grin. Can anyone enlighten me?

Wonderstuff Fri 17-Jul-09 16:13:49

I was confused by that too Meglet and going out to investigate is a mission especially if it is only open for 2 hours on a Wednesday or whatever.

kys Fri 17-Jul-09 19:36:29

The buckskin one is open 5days a week all day til 6pm. You can just drop in at any time and use the indoor and outdoor play equipment. Help yourself to tea and coffee, fruit bowl and biscuits etc. They do have a timetable of set activities that you can join in with or just do your own thing. Painting/messy play etc available at all times. Loads of role play equip, books and outdoor play. They also help you out with advice on different things, college, childcare, benefits, housing. I wasnt to sure about it to start with, sounded to good to be true. But the children love it.

Wonderstuff Fri 17-Jul-09 22:36:29

Wos that sounds excellent - Meglet do you fancy a trip out to Oakridge anytime to see if that is as good? I may even avoid going nuts this summer holiday.

Meglet Fri 17-Jul-09 22:45:08

wonderstuff I would if I could but I'm housebound as from next week, op on tuesday. I saw the consultant for my pre-op this week and after 3 weeks I should be able to take short walks. Tis going to be a strange summer being stuck inside.

It will be like Rear Window in my house this summer grin. But Grace Kelly is replaced by two maniac children hmm. And TBH I have seen the Simpsons Rear Window episode more time than the film blush.

I'll happily go along once I'm better though.

Wonderstuff Fri 17-Jul-09 23:31:50

Will be thinking of you on Tues. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Am available for social visits, short walks, getting stuff from Morrisons or taking children to the park to give you a break. Take it easy. I'll venture out to Oakridge and report back smile

[goes off to find out wtf Rear Window is, feel I should know]

Wonderstuff Mon 20-Jul-09 13:46:12

Just got this from the Oakridge Centre
We are open 5 days a week for 7.5 hours a day, as are all the children's centres. You are able to drop in and play at the centre at any time the only time, at the moment, we are not open for drop in is Weds afternoons as we are running a baby massage session. We provide activities in different venues as our catchment area is large and we do not expect our families to travel to Oakridge all the time to access services. We will be at the Picnic in Victory Park in Brookvale on August 15th so if you are attending feel free to drop by and say hello. Once you have registered with a Children's Centre you are registered with all of the centres in Hampshire and you can choose to attend any one you wish. I have attached our summer programme flyer so that you can see what we are offering and when. We do not close in holidays automatically as a lot of other services do. We are, however, closed for one week 10th August. Feel free to drop into the centre at any time to meet myself and Becky and see what we have to offer.

Thought I'd share incase anyone is interested. smile

Meglet Fri 24-Jul-09 21:26:42

Good detective work wonderstuff smile

KatePolymediaPR Thu 03-Sep-09 13:17:02

Hi everyone

Hope you don't mind me posting a note here, just wanted to let you know I've posted the details of an invitation to review some North Hampshire attactions for free in the main media requests area, titled 'Hampshire-based reviewers needed'.

Thanks ever so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now