Local Talk

Thinking about moving to the area

(11 Posts)
eversoW13 Tue 24-Sep-13 11:55:27

We're thinking about moving to the area and would like to know what locals think of life there. We've done a little exploring on our own, but would love to get some insight from established locals. We're mainly considering Crouch End and the area near Highgate station, but are open to suggestions. smile

So, a few questions ....

Are there lots of things on for small children (1 & 3 yrs)?

Good parks/access to nature? (We love Queen's wood, Highgate wood, etc & would love to know about other parks.)

Which non-religious primary schools are considered the best (not necessarily the most highly-rated by OFSTED)?

What sort of community feeling does the area have?

How do you predict the area will change over the next five to ten years (for better or worse)?

Is there any significant noise pollution, other than standard city sounds -- ie, does the area suffer from airplane noise, nearby trains, hospital traffic (sirens), etc? (We get quite a bit of plane noise where we are now in West London, so would like to avoid it in our new home!)

Are there any Facebook groups you'd recommend for getting a feel for what's happening around the area?

We are having a hard time deciding where to live -- this will likely be our last move until the kids are through primary school, so it's a big decision. Anything anyone can add to convince us that this is (or isn't!) the place for our family would be appreciated! Thank you!

Luvmy2babies Tue 24-Sep-13 13:55:23

We are moving to the neighbourhood on Thursday smile we loved Crouch End ever since we visited. We will be near The Broadway and Crouch Hall Road. My 3 1/2 yr old daughter starts nursery next Monday at Coleridge Primary. Don't know much about the schools but this was rated "outstanding" and many said its great. Hoping to get a spot for reception next year but nothing is ever certain, though a school official told us we were very much in catchment area.
I also have an 18 mos old son. Good luck with your decision.

ifonlytherewastime Wed 25-Sep-13 14:04:21

I've been a Crouchender for nearly 10 years and its perfect for families. There is loads of great stuff to do with little ones, just look at the Things to Do section above.

We particularly like walking or biking to Finsbury Park via parkland walk. The entrance is next to Coleridge School.

Most of the primary schools in the area are great, and Highgate Wood Secondary has really improved in the last few years. So being the Highgate side of Crouch End would be good if you choose to stay around for that.

There are loads of community events, Crouch End festival, the Fun Run, Steam Fair. I love living around here, I've lived all over London and this is the only place that has felt like a village.

eversoW13 Wed 25-Sep-13 14:58:19

Thanks. We do really like Crouch End. DH would prefer something on the Tube, though, so that may play a part in our decision. Otherwise, I think it's a strong contender!

wendle70 Fri 27-Sep-13 20:11:40

We moved here a year ago and having lived in Battersea and Isli previously I can honestly say Crouch End and Stroud Green (I live on border) is the nicest area and the thing I love the most is the community feel. I actually know my neighbours - they invite us over for drinks, pick up packages, share gardeners..it is safe, clean, incredibly quiet and with a lovely feeling. I'd not want to live anywhere else unless we move out of London to the country. Schools wise I think Muswell Hill is better for secondaries but lots of good primaries apparently. There is a web site called stroud green org and also the crouch end project - they will give you a good feel of the community vibe - particularly the stroud green one.

wendle70 Fri 27-Sep-13 20:12:44

ps depending on where you are, Finsbury Park is really quite close. I am 15 mins from there and also Haringay station is fab - direct train to the city (Moorgate) in 15 mins and on sat 8 mins to Kings Cross! Transport's great in my bit!

estuarymouth Thu 03-Oct-13 00:07:21

Crouch end and muswell hill are both great communities. It won't take long before the shop keepers recognise you and people are saying hello in the street. It's hard to find a bad primary school - great non religious schools in crouch end include Ashmount, Coleridge and rokesley. There is also highgate primary if you're thinking of living nearer highgate tube.

You know the woods but there's also waterlow park in highgate village and priory park in crouch end. Both are great with kids and both have good cafes.

I can't see the area changing much in 10 years as people don't move that much (for London). Crouch end is getting a cinema or two though.
smile

nlondondad Sat 12-Oct-13 22:31:14

There is also a discussion web site called Opinion8 which covers the Crouch End area.

CrouchEndMum32 Fri 25-Oct-13 17:21:52

I have lived in Crouch End for 21 years. Both our children are at Coleridge Primary school. We are all very, very happy here and would not want to live anywhere else.

It's is a proper community and very friendly. All facilities are within walking distance - library, Priory Park, Park Road swimming pools, many independent cafes, etc. There are lots of community events happening all of the time.

The only real downside is property prices - they are steep.

eversoW13 Fri 31-Jan-14 15:41:33

Well, after months of deliberation, decision time has arrived and we've decided to start looking for a house to rent in crouch end or muswell hill. the rental prices really make me feel faint, though.

will also be looking for a preschool playgroup
for my 3yo. any suggestions?

do I have any chance of getting a nursery place @ a primary school at this point?

Cords1 Mon 03-Feb-14 13:23:30

You might, but not all schools have nursery schools. You really do need to be very close to a school to get in. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now