Local Talk

Highgate Wood School

(7 Posts)
CrouchEndMum32 Thu 10-Oct-13 16:17:12

Hello. I am looking for feedback on Highgate Wood School from parents with children currently at the school, or who left there in the summer. It's the only secondary school we will get into on the distance criteria. It's not great reputation precedes it, but I am beginning to suspect that rep might be out of date and a little unfair. Thanks All.

izzy32 Mon 14-Oct-13 16:49:19

Hi,
I don't have kids at HGW, but mine will be going there. I do however have loads of friends with kids in the school and they are all really happy. Parents and kids. The school has changed a lot in the last 5/6 years. Since the new head arrived. So I feel its bad rep is out of date.

When i first arrived in the area 10 years ago, only a handful of kids from the local primary schools went there, most went private. Now its the other way round.

For a London state school, its pretty darn good.

estuarymouth Wed 23-Oct-13 14:05:40

Bumping, as I would also like to hear answers to OP's points…

CrouchEndMum32 Fri 25-Oct-13 17:07:01

Thank you Izzy32. Very helpful.

shuffleflick Sun 17-Nov-13 18:13:23

Have two there now and two who will go later. School are fabulously supportive of Dc1 (aspies) and are pushing lazy Dc2. Teachers range from astonishing to mediocre but are good at responding to emails individually within 24 hours. It's a mixed intake and there are some disruptive children who don't give a monkeys but plenty who buckle down and get good grades. Worth trying to get tickets to the Winter Concert so you can see them in action or Madfest in the summer. HTH

estuarymouth Fri 22-Nov-13 11:14:32

Good idea Shufflekick, and thanks for the insight. Good to know from a parent on the inside!

gellerziller Mon 02-Dec-13 16:21:19

My DS has just left Highgate Wood. He had been at another school until A levels when his first year AS grades meant that he was told to leave. He has some special needs and was devistated. Highgate Wood not only agreed to take him to start A levels again, they welcomed him and made sure they accommodated his needs. They guided him on subject choices, encouraged him and treated him like an individual. Two years later his confidence is back and he is now at Uni so yes, I would recommend it. Mixed intake but all the kids are expected to reach their potential.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now