Local Talk

Moving to Eastbourne or surrounding areas and dont know where to start?!

(11 Posts)
Lily15 Sun 13-Nov-11 10:04:47

Hi I have 3 children ages 7, 3 and 6 months. My husband has been offered a job in Eastbourne but we really dont know the area at all. We were looking at Brighton originally ( we are moving to the UK from overseas) but decided that to save on hubby commuting we would look into EB itself and surrounding villages. We are looking to rent before buying-but the most tricky part I am finding is schools.

My 7 year old is dyslexic and has been in a very small private international school until now. I am worried that he will get lost in a class of 30-35. My 3 year old starts school fulltime in September so I need to get an application in for her too.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on where to start? I'd love to hear from anyone else who has children with SN in EB and any info you have . Thanks x

Lily15 Sun 13-Nov-11 19:59:07

Anyone?

TeamEdward Sun 13-Nov-11 20:03:46

Hi! I'm in Hastings, but know a bit about Eastbourne.

What's your budget?
How many rooms do you need?
Would you prefer in the town or a village location?
Garden?
ORP?

A lot of Sussex schools have "Dyslexia Friendly" status, the LA has just had a big push on it and a lot of money has been spent on training.

stoppingat3 Sun 13-Nov-11 20:34:16

We are near to Rye but our children go to school in Battle, I know a bit about this side of EB (also lived in Hastings for a few years)

More info would be great but my advice re smaller classes is to go to the villages. The school my son started in had 11 in his year (mixed with year above which had 8).

If you are looking private let me know and I can pm you some info. (may out me by posting grin

On the whole its a lovely part of the country and I hope your move goes well.

TeamEdward Sun 13-Nov-11 20:51:30

Stoppingat3 - Did your DC go to M+W?

stoppingat3 Sun 13-Nov-11 21:02:39

TE not sure what that one is but the one that the eldest was at was a village near rye (letter in top half of alphabet) grin

TeamEdward Sun 13-Nov-11 21:08:50

If you don't know M+W then you are not the person I thought you might be, IYKWIM!!

MABS Mon 14-Nov-11 20:04:55

why don't you girls com eto Brighton meet 3 Dec lunch? be great to meet you and couple come from Eastbourne too smile

GeoffreyMoose Mon 14-Nov-11 21:55:58

Hi just popping in to say I'm in Eastbourne too. The big junior in Eastbourne is Ocklynge and while your DS may not be used to such a large school, I hear they're pretty good when it comes to SN (though hopefully someone with a bit more experience of that will come and help soon.)

There is another, newer, junior over by the harbour called The Haven. It's smaller and here's a link to the recent Ofsted: http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/131381

There's one in yet another part of Eastbourne called Stafford, which was in Special Measures but appears to have turned around. Oh and one called Tollgate too, but I don't know much about that I'm afraid.

As for infant schools, they all seem to be fairly good in Eastbourne. Have a look on the East Sussex County Council website and get an idea from Ofsted perhaps?

Happy to help talk through ideas on where you'd like to live. Nearby you've got Pevensey/Westham/Hailsham and even smaller villages with infant school /junior schools including Herstmonceux and Hellingly, which tend to feed into Hailsham at secondary age.

Let me know if I can help further

Lucyhanco Tue 17-Jul-12 00:54:25

Hi Lily,
Just seen your post however am aware was quite a while ago. Let me know if you are still needing any help as I am in Eastbourne x

4kidsandrising Fri 25-Jan-13 10:18:20

Ditto from here - I've been in E/b for 18 years, and have 4 dc's, so am not bad with knowing about services/schools etc. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now