Local Talk

Are there any good primary schools in Hastings / St Leonards?

(7 Posts)
alicethehorse Wed 28-Dec-11 01:22:59

We're thinking of relocating to Hastings / St Leonards. Which primary schools would you recommend?

I'd like DS to go to a non-religious state school, ideally rated Ofsted 2 or above - but all the ones I've seen so far seem to be rated 3.

Am I missing something by not considering schools rated 3? Ds is 3yo so this is all new to me!

Do you consider them good even though Ofsted doesn't?

PaulaJOsborne Wed 28-Dec-11 16:24:41

My DD is only 2 but I have friends with children who attend St.Pauls in St.Leonards which comes highly recommended. It has connections with St.Matthews C of E church also in St.Leonards, but from what I hear, it's all very relaxed. Hastings Observer (Dec 23rd) mentions St.Pauls as reaching high levels in English and Maths at Ket Stage 2. Ofsted reports are handy but I have found speaking to parents far more helpful. Good luck.

alicethehorse Wed 28-Dec-11 16:47:09

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated smile

However I'm really not keen on DS going to a religious school, however "relaxed".

Unfortunately it does seem to be the religious schools which get the good ratings in Hastings! I'd rather compromise on location / size of house / other factors to move next to a good non-religious school, than send DS to a religious school. He's a 4th generation atheist! (Well if he decides that too when he's old enough, of course).

Eastbourne down the road has lots of non-religious state schools with great ratings for example. I'm hoping I can find at least 1 in Hastings / St Leonards!

threefeethighandrising Sun 01-Jan-12 19:24:25

Does anyone know anything about Blacklands, Elphinstone, Castledown or Dudly schools by any chance?

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 02-Jan-12 10:38:23

Blacklands, Silverdale and Little Ridge are all good non-religious schools. St Pauls and Dudley Infants also have good reputations but are religious afaik. Blacklands and Silverdale are quite large and both have good facilities, swimming pools, large playing fields, facilities for SEN, Silverdale in particular has large, purpose built modern classrooms. Little Ridge is smaller but still good. St Pauls didn't have great SATs results for boys, although the girls did ok, which might be a concern as you have a DS.

Elphinstone has improved a lot and has great facilities, but is located in a socially deprived part of town which puts some people off.

I don't know much about the other schools in town. Hollington doesn't have a great reputation, largely due to it's location I think.

Some of the village schools are supposed to be good too - Crowhurst, Guestling, Westfield etc.

tattyhousehastings Thu 01-Mar-12 19:11:01

Dudley is a fantastic school, it is non religious although the Head is a Christian. Both of my children have loved it there and I can speak very highly of the teachers and all of the children seem happy and polite by the time they leave. They do move on to All Saints juniors though which is C of E and much stricter, has some nice teachers though and as before lovely kids on the whole.
Castletown has been very troubled, is in a tricky catch ment area but has a new head, some fantastic staff so I hear and is improving. In my opinion Clive Vale, especially lower down the hill is a great area fir families to live in, St Leonards a bit more trendy and cool but trickier with schools.

hopperdee Tue 12-Jun-12 13:56:22

I'm also moving to the area and can't really understand why so many of the schools don't seem to do well with Ofsted? Dudley seems to be monitored due to scoring 3's and a lot of the other schools are 3's or even 4's... It can't just be down to social problems, I live near Croydon at the moment and even some of the rougher bits have some excellent schools thanks to enthusiastic/proactive Heads etc. I can't afford to go private (and wouldn't really want to anyway).

I know that visiting schools will help but just wondered why so many of these schools don't appear to be doing well in the eyes of Ofsted. Any thoughts? And recommendations of course. We'll have to factor the school into the houses that we choose to view. St Paul's does look like it might be a good option - taking my 5 year old out of her lovely little school and don't want to mess up her happiness or progress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now