Local Talk

Another thread about moving to Hastings/St Leonards

(8 Posts)
marykat2004 Sat 29-Sep-12 16:31:39

Hi, I know someone else posted a similar thread but I'm just trying to work out exactly how "bad" St Leonards is.

We are going to look at Christchurch and St Pauls schools. We looked at a house fairly close to Christchurch but also near Warrior Square station. People say that that is a "bad" area.

I have lived in Hackney and Islington for 22 years, including Finsbury Park, Holloway Road, Newington Green and the Pembury Estate (Hackney Central). is St Leonards Warrior Square as bad as those places?

I know to avoid Hollington and don't want to live on as estate. But there are some nice houses in St Leonards. We don't drive, so further out is not really an option.

TeamEdward Sat 29-Sep-12 16:35:46

Warrior Square isn't that bad! Really! There are many lovely streets in St Leonards.
Are you looking to buy or rent? Maybe tell us your requirements and budget and we can see what's out there for you.
Christchurch and St Pauls are both nice schools.

BedHog Mon 01-Oct-12 12:29:56

Most of that area is fine - anywhere from Horntye Rd, Upper Park Road, that side of Bohemia Rd is nice, although parking can be limited. Bohemia Road itself I'd avoid, as there is no parking and lots of takeaways etc so quite busy into the evenings.

The other side of Bohemia Road - St Peters Road has lovely big houses, there used to be a bit of drug activity and 'yoofs' hanging about a few years back but I don't know what it's like now. Generally the upper part of this area is nicer than the lower part towards the station. Make sure you get a proper structural survey done though as my friend lived in this area and his house fell down one day when he was at work!

The area between London Road and The Green is generally quite nice. Don't be put off looking at flats - they are often bigger and nicer (and cheaper!) than the houses.

marykat2004 Mon 01-Oct-12 18:39:05

Thank you. We want to work from home, so need work space, too. So looking at flats online but so far not seen anything big enough.

Also, we'll be cash buyers so we are definitely going for a full survey.

And we don't drive so parking not an issue.

Thanks!

BedHog Mon 01-Oct-12 18:55:13

Look up towards St Matthews Gardens and Sedlescombe Road South too - lovely big properties there. You'd be towards the catchment for Silverdale School too, which is also good.

marykat2004 Mon 01-Oct-12 19:07:06

Silverdale is interesting, it seems to have terrible Ofsted but seems recommended on Mumsnet. I know I keep going on about Ofsted but DD goes to a really excellent (albeit very snobby) school at the moment.

TeamEdward Mon 01-Oct-12 19:34:11

My DS1 has just started at Silverdale - he really loves it, the Head is a straight-talker and the staff are excellent. I will admit to not reading the Ofsted report, because I don't have much respect for them.
Silverdale have very good facilities.

mopsera Mon 01-Oct-12 23:41:54

hi. im in social housing and had a swop potentially to hollington, but dont like it anough.am now considering bexhill, i think st leonards has some great properties, very much cheaper than other seaside towns and much nicer than hastings !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now