Local Talk

Rye - anyone live there?

(5 Posts)
donttrythisathome Mon 01-Oct-12 21:45:06

Hi
We are considering a move to Rye. I know its small, but does anyone (i.e. anyone reading this!) live there?
Would you recommend it, and is there anything on for the under 5s there?
Thanks.

BedHog Wed 03-Oct-12 18:06:37

I have friends in Rye. There are a couple of pre-school groups, and swimming sessions for under fives in a lovely pool. The salts play area isn't bad, and there is a skate ramp and cricket/football club for older kids. It's not great for older teenagers tbh, the only nightclub is a bit of a meat market and the secondary school had quite a bad reputation for drugs etc. back in the 1990s, but that may well have changed. For adults, it's lovely. Lots of arty stuff going on, good pubs and restaurants, a great bonfire event every year, fantastic walks in the surrounding countryside. Property prices are a bit higher than nearby towns (Hastings etc) but I'd be quite happy to live in Rye.

donttrythisathome Thu 04-Oct-12 22:25:57

Thanks! It's hard to imagine drug problems there walking around, you just never know!

BedHog Fri 05-Oct-12 07:58:15

I wouldn't let the drug issues put you off, tbh. Probably no worse than any other town, and it was mostly just kids having a spliff at lunchtime rather than heroin etc.! But as I say, that was in the 1990s and it has probably changed by now. Rye is great for most ages apart from those two or three years when you want to go a bit wild, go clubbing and meet lots of new young people. But you can pack them off to college/university to do that!! smile

donttrythisathome Sat 06-Oct-12 20:55:53

Thanks again. Most small towns/villages would be a bit bad for that though. I really like it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now