Local Talk

moving to romford

(16 Posts)
babyjohn Wed 08-Feb-12 12:04:44

we are moving to havering and are looking at a house on cambridge ave, romford. i have a 2 and 5 year old. if anyone is familiar with the area could they give me some info on the area - thanks

Britoria Wed 08-Feb-12 16:45:00

Hello Babyjohn,

I have lived in the area for about 20 years and as a Teacher do I fair amount of private tuition for the local children.

The area is safe, local boys school on upper brentwood road (Royal Liberty). You would be close to Gallows corner so good driving links to A12, A127 and M25. Also Gidea Park station is a 10 minute walk awaym however Romford is better for the fast train to Stratford and Liverpook Street.

babyjohn Wed 22-Feb-12 20:21:43

HI Britoria,
thank you so much for the reply - we moved here at the weekend. Very overwhelmed .. looking at ardleigh green for school do you know anything about it. Also would you have heard of any mother toddler groups in area

Thanks

Cookieaddict Tue 28-Feb-12 12:37:57

Hi BabyJohn,
I hope you're liking the area.
There is a lovely childrens centre in Romford that has lots of different groups and friendly mums. I think it would maybe be a 15 minute walk from you & they have storage to put buggy.
Hope this link works.
www.havering.gov.uk/Pages/St-Kilda-CC-LGNL-53.aspx

row78 Wed 29-Feb-12 11:36:12

I used to take my son to messy play at Buttercups in Gidea Park:

http://www.buttercupclub.co.uk/where_when.html

There was a group of mums there who met at St Kilda CC that cookieaddict linked to above so that sounds like a good place to go. They were all very friendly as well.

where have you moved from?

babyjohn Thu 01-Mar-12 12:58:47

Hi ladies thank you so much for the help will check them out for sure. We have moved over from Ireland so have left all my friends behind and feel a bit isolated - really miss the girly chats. I still have to find out what school my son has got into but then it will just be me and the little lady all day so will need to get out and meet people. thanks again for the advice x

row78 Wed 07-Mar-12 19:48:50

Wow! That is a big move. I'm in Upminster which is a few towns along. I'm not from round here as well and I do like it here, very friendly, close to London but far enough away. The mums do seem nice and friendly everywhere I go as well. Maybe we can meet up once you're settled in?

Cookieaddict Mon 12-Mar-12 16:10:56

Hi Row78,
Just in case you don't already know, there is a childrens centre above the library in Upminster that has a few drop-in groups too (not as many as Romford).
www.havering.gov.uk/Pages/UpminsterLibraryChildrensCentre-LGSL-53.aspx
I love the childrens centres, they're all free and very friendly, don't know what I'd do without them!

FrankiDon182 Mon 12-Mar-12 16:56:16

Hiya!
I live in Barking which is not too far away from Romford. I spend alot of time in Romford shopping and at the play center. A meet would be great? I can show you around smile
I have irish family too (Dublin) and have a little boy (nearly 2) and expecting my 2nd in just under 3 weeks grin

row78 Wed 14-Mar-12 15:35:46

thanks cookieaddict. It's a pity because they built up the children's centre at Upminster library and started having a range of stuff to do then the cut backs hit and they're only open on Thursday now, and I can't make either session. I'm a bit cross though because I've just seen it says that they'll be holding Small Talk sessions soon. I went to two at Elm Park CC and it got cancelled because no one else turned up, they said they'd let me know when it started again and I've been chasing them!

JacquiK Wed 14-Mar-12 21:54:42

Hi There,

I have recently moved to the area and have a 6 week old baby boy. We are also looking for places to go and meet other Mum's locally?!

Debiarbi Thu 15-Mar-12 13:35:13

Hi JacquiK,

Havering NCT would be a good place to start. They arrange meetups for parents with babies and have all sorts of information about local parent and baby/toddler groups, activities and services for parents and children.

I know that the Brentwood NCT has 'New baby welcomes', so I'm sure that Havering do, too. parents with babies aged around 2-4 months usually go to these, so your baby is just coming up to the right age!

Most of the libraries have activities for children, too.

Good luck! smile

row78 Thu 15-Mar-12 16:54:54

JacquiK - whereabouts have you moved to?

Hazbo Mon 19-Mar-12 20:15:19

Hello all,

Im 32 and from Barking. I have a 16 week old DD and a 19 month old DS.
I dont drive much but am able to get to most places on the Bus, District line or C2C.
I have tried a few baby groups over the last few months but would really like to meet some new mum friends....is anyone interested in a local meet up?

ffnorm Thu 26-Apr-12 18:11:37

Hi - We moved to Hornchurch 6 months ago and I would love to meet some mums in the area. I have an almost 2 1/2 DS and due in June with no 2.Easy to get to Romford etc

Marcy78 Tue 05-Jun-12 01:23:38

Hello everyone!
My name is Marcy and I live in Romford with hubby and DD 2yrs 10mths.
I take the little one to a very nice playgroup called Minnie Mites. It's very clean and the mums are very welcoming too!
I was thinking of organising a meet up?
We could meet at Raphaels Park in Gidea Park one day? I hope the weather gets better soon! What's the best day for the majority? I'm free on Wednesday and Friday afternoons. Weekends are a bit more complicated, but an occasional meeting on a Saturday morning wouldn't be much of a problem! Hehehe...
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Marcy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now