Local Talk

Harpenden property!

(8 Posts)
BananaMuffin Wed 08-Feb-12 16:03:17

We are hoping to move to Harpenden this year after much research into various commuter towns! I've posted before and read lots on Mumsnet about property prices, but i wondered if anyone has heard any particular scare stories about people overpaying in Harpenden? Some of the houses in the Avenues, for example, seem to be priced using no particular formula. We would like to make an offer on a house that we've seen but we can't tell if the developer price is way too cheeky or actually realistic. Does anyone have any anecdotes re. people getting houses for much less than asking price? Or anyone who moved after a couple of years and found they couldn't sell at a profit?

By the way, we know Harpenden is expensive, so this isn't a question about why it's expensive - just about why houses on the very same road (e.g. Park Avenue) can be priced so differently.
Thanks for any advice.

MrsJAlfredPrufrock Thu 09-Feb-12 18:21:46

I'll send you a PM.

bulawayo Thu 12-Apr-12 22:11:36

Im thinking of buying a house in St Albans vs Harpenden vs Redbourn

Anyone got any ideas for any good roads to go for I'm looking for a 3 bed property but close to good schools

I saw a house in Westfield Road 1/2 mile from st george but was told the area is a bit not so great - buts its so close to st georges

anyone have any advice as to what roads are good for

1. Harpenden
2. St Albans

I dont have a big budget and am buying a 3bed place

Hopefully the kids will be happy in their new home~!

bulawayo Thu 12-Apr-12 22:12:25

im thinking of moving to harpenden let me know how it goes!

edam Tue 24-Apr-12 17:49:03

bulawayo, do you want primary or secondary schools? If primary, Westfield Road ain't that great - you'll get the Lea which is a perfectly good school but somehow the least popular in Harpenden. Small class sizes, though. St George's senior is a Church school so you have to have a letter from your vicar to get in. However, that doesn't matter as the two other senior schools are both good - I'd prefer Roundwood to St George's anyway.

WheathampstedMum Mon 30-Apr-12 12:22:04

Hello! We're moving to Harpenden/Wheathampsted from London in a couple of weeks - doing the classic "big move" for more space and nice school. We've found the property search really hard even though we are chain free and it supposed to be a depressed market. Good luck!
Separtely is anyone interested in a Nanny Share or know of a good Nanny looking for a new position (Mon - Thurs) from late May/early June?
Thanks and hope to meet some Mums soon as we're leaving all our friends and our toddler's friends behind - boo!
Thanks for the school tips Edam - anyone know of Beach Hyde and St Helens?

HalleLouja Mon 30-Apr-12 13:26:27

My DS is going to Beech Hyde in September. It's ace. If you want to meet some people when you move pm and I will give you the details of who runs weekly coffee mornings (they are NCT run but anyone is welcome).

I have a 4 year old DS and a nearly 1 year old DD.

The Children's Centre which is at BH school is fab and a good place to meet some new people too.

Houses in Wheathampstead are still going up in price definitely no sign at the moment of much of a down turn.

WheathampsteadMum Mon 30-Apr-12 15:05:57

Thanks HalleLouja - I'm in the NCT as well so it would be great to come along if you could send me the details. I've also finally figured out how to to spell Wheathampstead - opps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now