Local Talk

Catholic schools in St Albans

(11 Posts)
jubjubbird Tue 04-Sep-12 14:09:03

We're thinking about moving to St Albans from Enfield, mainly for the good schools and to be a bit further out of London. We're practising Catholic so looking at state Catholic schools, and have a dd and ds under 3.

I have two questions for those of you who might be able to help:

1. Can you tell me about the different Catholic schools in St Albans, as far as I know there are three or four?

2. Is it worth the move for schools alone? We have a great (big) primary school here in Enfield, but I'm thinking more long-term... and, thinking of Loreto for dd, is it mean to split up siblings to different schools?

I hope you can help me decide whether to move or not, I just don't know what to do! :-)

thank you thank you...

HalleLouja Mon 10-Sep-12 22:26:12

I used to live on the road the big Catholic school in Enfield is on - the primary one that is. Right by the school.

We are Greek Orthodox. One of my cousins is at St Columba's and doing well. Although that is private. My other cousin went to Loreto and liked it there too.

Its much nicer here than in Enfield though I live in one of the villages and not St Albans itself. I used to want to move back but now no way. Enfield is too busy and not as nice. That is my personal opinion. I did like growing up in Enfield and was a fan before I moved here.

Harpenden has a good primary Catholic school and St Georges I believe is for all Christian faiths. Its also mixed and is supposed to be absolutely fabulous.

jubjubbird Tue 11-Sep-12 14:52:27

Thanks for your reply! Even better to here from someone who knows both areas.

I agree about Enfield being too busy. Harpenden is another option, so good to know about those schools too, thank you!

HalleLouja Tue 11-Sep-12 17:38:33

I do like Enfield - just like it here more. I miss the ethnic shops and other bits of Enfield but Cockfosters is close by so can go there to indulge in my fondness for good quality meze.

GreatGoldenMedally Wed 12-Sep-12 19:06:32

I'm not Catholic and have no personal experience of these schools but can tell you the names of some in St Albans if that's helpful?!

St Alban & St Stephen are state nursery/ infant and junior schools. I believe they have outstanding Ofsted reports and are certainly well-regarded by parents.

St John Fisher is a state primary that I'm afraid I know nothing about!

Nicholas Breakspear is the state secondary.

HTH smile

alibeenherealongtime Wed 12-Sep-12 19:11:16

St Adrians's RC JMI, St Michaels Catholic secondary at Garston, maybe just boys?
Loreto College St Albans, all girls senior.

jubjubbird Thu 13-Sep-12 13:17:44

Thank you very much everyone!

How is Nicholas Breakspear thought of? (Seems strange to be asking this when my eldest is only 2...)

St Alban & St Stephen sounds like a good school. I'd be interested to know if the primary schools are much the same or if they each have a different reputation? Anyone have kids at these schools?

HalleLouja Thu 13-Sep-12 14:20:45

I wouldn't worry about secondary school now. Lots will change in the next 9 years. Worry about primary schools.

allagory Sat 15-Sep-12 23:24:43

We moved from Cockfosters to St Albans 5 years ago. We moved for 4 reasons 1) the schools 2) my parents live here 3) good local amenities 4)easy commute to London.

I do love it but I don't think it would be worth moving here for the schools alone because you pay such a premium to live here. If you didn't need to commute into London, you could probably do better for your money elsewhere.

Himalaya Sat 15-Sep-12 23:32:40

St Albans and St Stephens is popular and parents there seem to like it.

Loreto is highly oversubscribed, Nicholas Breakspear not so much. But things can change a lot in a few years.

whatkungfuthat Sun 16-Sep-12 17:42:22

There is also St Bernadette's in London Colney which is a primary. There was a bit of a scandal a few years back regarding the old head. They got knocked down the league tables but it now has a new head who is very well respected and I hear its a great little school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now