Local Talk

anyone given birth at watford general ??

(10 Posts)
breechbump Wed 09-Jan-13 11:13:25

hi, i have just moved to watford i am 35 weeks, just wondering if anyone had any experience of giving birth at watford general? i've not heard great things so far about the postnatal care!

xx

metoomum Wed 09-Jan-13 17:55:09

Yes, I have although it was 10 years ago. Dc was 9 weeks premature, they literally saved his life. I was in for 5 days, dc in SCBU for 5 weeks so I got to know it well. Care was good, SCBU outstanding and people generally very kind..

Hope all goes well for you.

Dragontrainer2 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:24:20

I had all three of mine at Watford, the most recent of which was three years ago. I wouldn't rave about the care or birth experience when everything was going well, but, as with metoomum, when there was a problem the Special Care Baby Unit there was outstanding. And, at the end of the day, that's what really mattered, being able to bring home three (finally!) healthy babies rather than a beautiful, highly efficient environment!

breechbump Thu 10-Jan-13 13:00:28

I should have been more specific dragon....the reason I'm concerned about the postnatal care is because I'm probably going to have a c section and therefore need to stay in. I've heard about women being left without pain killers, bloody sheets not being changed, no help with BF x x

juneau2 Mon 21-Jan-13 17:51:50

Gave birth to DS2 in the Alexandra Birthing Centre at Watford General in May 2011. Had a really good experience BUT he was a second baby, my labour was very fast (he was born with 50 mins of arriving), and I literally gave birth at 8pm and was discharged home at 11pm, so my experience there was somewhat limited! However, the midwives were great, despite it being quite busy there were two in attendance and I was giving birth, and I couldn't fault them.

Yes, lots of times, including a section eight years ago. The care was very good. At no point was I left without pain relief.

inthevillage Mon 28-Jan-13 19:14:11

Had my dad there nearly 5 years ago. To be honest, the best thing about the whole experience was the post natal care. The staff were stretched, but so caring.

inthevillage Mon 28-Jan-13 19:14:52

y, I didn't have my dad there! It was my DD!

flatwhite Thu 14-Feb-13 22:43:21

Hi breechbump,

I am 31 weeks and due to give birth there to my 2nd.
I had my ds in lister but we moved to Shenley 6 months ago.
I have friends who had babies there who said they were satisfied that care was experience and non traumatic. But as for post natal care- often it is not great in NHS hospitals as scarce resources are often prioritised to the delivery suite. I have heard similar bad reports in barnet and lister post Nate care was awful.

MrsMallow Tue 26-Feb-13 20:31:28

I wasn't overly keen on post natal there, but overall my experience was good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now