Local Talk

Where to buy house in Hertfordshire

(8 Posts)
brop1 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:22:37

Hi all I'm new to this site and have read several threads regarding this subject but felt I had to start a new thread to be specific to our needs. My hubby and I want to start a family this year and want to move from North Kent to Hertfordshire. I have searched but still not sure on which area. Our budget is 320K-390k and preferably a 4 bedroom but a 3 bedroom with scope to extend will also be good, a garden and garage. We would obviously like a nice safe area with good schools for when we have our little ones. The area needs to be within 40 mins train commute to London.
Thanks in advance for all your replies.

brop1 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:32:00

We are also considering Berkshire, Bedfordshire, Middlesex and Buckinghamshire if anyone has info on those areas.

HarrassedInHerts Thu 10-Jan-13 22:00:56

We live in Bishop's Stortford which is a nice town with good schools and about 40 mins to Liverpool Street. We moved here 12 years ago and its been great for the DCs. I'm a bit out of touch with house prices though!

brop1 Thu 10-Jan-13 22:33:44

Hi HarraseedInHerts. Thanks for your reply. Can you recommend a nice area within Bishop Stortford to search.

HarrassedInHerts Sun 13-Jan-13 16:49:58

Well it depends on what sort of property you are looking for. The west of the town has newish estates such as St Michael's Mead and Bishop's Park but if you want something a bit older that has a larger garden then the area around Dane Park is good. I don't know the other side of the town that well but nothing is very from the town centre or from a good school so I would just start with a few houses that I liked the look of and visiting to get a feel for where they are.

OliviaMumsnetHerts Mon 14-Jan-13 14:56:25

Agree with harrassed
(am not far from BS myself)
But also worth bearing in mind whereabouts in London you would like to commute to - Berkshire would be a much better place for us to live for family but as DH works in the city would spend a lot of time on the tube, so we ended up in Herts so he can go straight to Liv St and walk from there..

juneau2 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:32:07

Yes, where you work will depend on which train line you want to be on. St Albans, Harpenden, Luton, Bedford to into St Pancras, whereas BS goes into Liverpool St and Hertford, Ware, Stevenage go into KX.

This route map is helpful: Herts Trains

juneau2 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:34:08

P.S. You won't get anything in St Albans or Harpenden for those prices, but the smaller towns and villages nearby, you might i.e. London Colney, Park Street, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now