Local Talk

Where to live in St Albans

(6 Posts)
BelenJ Tue 19-Feb-13 15:23:30

Hello - my husband and I are thinking of moving to St Albans, we are trying to get pregnant and are looking for somewhere to settle down long term.
We both work in London and need easy access to the mainline station however we also want to be in a good place for primary schools. we are looking for a 4 bed semi with a budget of £700,000 but we have not seen anything at all near the station.
What are the best postcodes in St albans? How do people get to the station? Any tips and hints? We are new to this game and have found there are so many things to consider and juggle. Any help would be appreciated

SmallGreyandBrighteyed Tue 19-Feb-13 21:06:31

Houses near the station tend to be quite small; those that aren't are very expensive! People use most forms of transport to get to the station: walk, cycle, moped, bus, car and taxi. Station car parking is pretty full and expensive though so not recommended. My personal favourite area is Bernards Heath and surrounds (Sandridge Rd, Seymour Rd, Lancaster Rd, Battlefield Rd, etc). I know a lot of people like the Clarence Park, Fleetville and Marshalswick areas as well. There are good-sized houses in those areas, good schools and a mile or so from the station is easily travelled. HTH and Good luck smile.

HarpoBoy Wed 20-Feb-13 16:10:27

The inaccessibility of the St Albans station is what put me off moving there. Taking a taxi or driving to the station seems a bit of a pain, and then have to stand all the way into London.

Why not try Harpenden? Better schools, seat on the train, and a much nicer town.

There is a bit in your price bracket too:
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=STATION^4262&insId=1&radius=0.5&displayPropertyType=&minBedrooms=4&maxBedrooms=4&minPrice=600000&maxPrice=800000&retirement=&partBuyPartRent=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false

Minimummee Mon 25-Feb-13 00:07:59

Hi there

We currently live in a road near Oakwood and Beaumont schools and my husband walks to the station everyday (just over a mile) and there are also regular buses - our house is currently on the market but reluctantly as my father-in-law is ill and will need to live with us. We prefer this area to nearer the station, as it is quieter plus you have good schools on your doorstep which is a bonus as catchment areas are so tight and further near the station schools are limited.

HTH

xx

newgirl Mon 25-Mar-13 18:28:34

You could look at Cornwall road area, approach rd, prospect rd area, fleetville and bernards Heath - all 5-10 min walk to station and you can get what you want for your price. All family homes so not often on Market but they do come up.

Whyareallthenamestaken Thu 18-Apr-13 15:03:24

I drive to that station every day from near St.Michael's. it takes me five minutes and while it does cost, there is always space in the second car park (other side of the bridge) if not the main one. It's really not that bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now