Local Talk

Moving to Harpenden - primary school advice

(5 Posts)
HarpoJo Sun 14-Apr-13 18:15:04

We are moving to Harpenden from south London with our two boys in Years 2 & 5.

Can anyone give us guidance on the local primary schools? As an in-year admission we will be restricted to what spaces are available, but would be great to know which schools are well regarded.

We are looking forward to our move in May.

Thanks in advance.

NigellaTufnel Mon 15-Apr-13 22:50:32

Frankly they are all pretty good, and some are exceptional. Where roughly in the town will you be moving to?

Historically the Lea has not been so well regarded, but I think that it has really improved. Someone should be along to give you more info.

Avenues Mon 22-Apr-13 14:08:55

It might be best to phone Herts LEA and find out which schools have the required places for your in year admission and then post again about the specific school(s).

Harpenden is a lovely place to raise children. I hope you'll be really happy here.

roundwood Mon 22-Apr-13 16:47:43

Agreed, all the schools are good - the Lea and Sauncey Wood are the least popular but anywhere other than Harpenden they would be regarded as very good indeed. The Lea has small class sizes which may appeal. They suffer slightly from having an intake of children from the local Christian missionary campus (really) who don't stick around for very long, as their parents are being trained to go out and spread the word across the world. On the other hand, the missionaries do run a v nice cafe and regular events - great Teddy Bear's Picnic concert (and no attempt to convert you).

Chrysanthemum12 Mon 29-Apr-13 16:55:23

The Lea has recently had an Ofsted inspection and was graded "good". All the parents I know there are very happy with it. It is getting much harder to get into I understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now