Local Talk

Relocating to Hertfordshire, looking for advise

(10 Posts)
purplesun Mon 26-Aug-13 09:49:47

Good morning, it is the first post I write (despite I am a big fan of mumsnet!) so first of all, hello! It's a pleasure to be part of the group!

I have just accepted a job in Hatfield and I have to relocate (from Scotland, so not the easiest moving) in only a few weeks. We have two children: 8 and 28 months old. I am looking for a nice place to live with good schools, not too far from Hatfield in either train or car (and not too expensive..). My husband is looking for a job so we want to stay in a good location to travel to both Cambridge or London so that he can look for jobs in both cities. Reading around, up to now I have focused on Welwyn Garden City and Hitchin, but I don't know if in terms of schools it is a good idea.. Moreover, are there areas to avoid? Do you have any other suggestion?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot in advance!

Avenues Sat 31-Aug-13 18:13:39

Welwyn garden city WGC is a very good location between Hatfield and Cambridge (direct trains to Cambridge) and it has some excellent schools on the west side, AL8.

You need to phone the Herts Local Education Authority and enquire about in year admissions for your 8 year old. Templewood and Applecroft in WGC are excellent.

purplesun Sun 01-Sep-13 11:32:11

Hi, he's 8 months old, so still plenty of time!
Thanks for the advise!

Avenues Sun 01-Sep-13 18:42:12

grin at 8 months. I thought you meant 8.

purplesun Sun 01-Sep-13 21:53:18

smile

rattlerr Wed 04-Sep-13 23:59:27

Playbox preschool in Hitchin currently has places available for the 28 month old. Good luck with moving and your new job.
Hitchin is a lovely place to live especially with children. Very friendly.

purplesun Sun 08-Sep-13 13:57:06

Thank you!

elena4 Wed 25-Sep-13 14:56:26

Hello everybody. I am new to this site so wasn't sure how to start a new conversation. However I am in similar position to purplesun. My husband got offered a job in watford, so we will be relocating to Hertfordshire. We've got almost (in December) 4 y.o. boy who we want to register to good school. Can you please advise me about the areas to live with young children and to avoid.
We are planning to rent for at least a year.
Any advice will be welcome.

Cosmosis1 Mon 21-Oct-13 20:03:10

Hitchin is much nicer than Welwyn. It's old as in lots of Georgian and Tudor buildings and is one of he few towns in the country with an old cobbled market square. The town is always busy with face painters, caricutarists, bands, craft markets, antiques fairs, balloon making people, fashion shows, cooking events, food festivals, you name it! There is a real cafe culture and there are loads of restaurants and shops. Pitcher and Piano has just opened as has Vinegar Hill. All the other locations for these are places such as Bath, York etc.

2tiredtoScare Wed 23-Oct-13 12:09:09

Kings Langley's nice and near to Watford Elena4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now