Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Local Talk

Houses and schools in Hitchin

(6 Posts)
purplesun Wed 28-Aug-13 11:57:56

Good morning ladies,

I am considering moving to Hitchin but I am having difficulties finding a place to live near a good school. How close should I be to an oversubscribed primary like Samuel Lucas or William Ransom?

Any place to absolutely avoid for houses? I have read I should stay away from Westmill but some houses seem actually quite nice. Is it that bad? Would Burford Way be ok?

I have also read Secondary Schools are a problem in Hitchin. Any experience? Should I worry more of secondaries rather than primaries?

Can I also ask if the traffic is that bad to commute down to Hatfield?

Have a lovely day and thank you in advance.

deploymentbeckons Fri 30-Aug-13 20:42:43

Hi, we're considering moving to hitchin to a house in the estate behind St. John's community centre play area. Could anyone let me know what the area is like?

chorlts Mon 02-Sep-13 22:00:40

My friend commutes down to Hatfield and reckons it takes 45 mins or so.
Most of the primary schools are good - William Ransom has an amazing reputation but we are nowhere near the catchment area but the 3 or 4 schools we are close to are all good
Generally the south side and the west side of town are the nicest but most of town is nice, you can tell fairly quickly where isn't iykwim! ?

Best senior schools are HGS and HBS but everyone wants to get in so it is a bit of taking your chances and hoping you are in catchment area again!!

Tis a lovely place to live!  

chorlts Mon 02-Sep-13 22:03:02

And yes, st John's area is fine, it is mainly council estate but a nice one if that doesn't sound too snobby!! Lovely community centre which is v busy and the nearest primary school is Highbury and Whitehill and they are v v good

purplesun Tue 03-Sep-13 11:12:08

thanks a lot chorits!!
I'll come down on Friday and give a nice look around! we'll first rent and I am trying to find something in the south part not too far from highbury, where we may think buying next year.

45 minutes?? really? that's a nightmare! that outs me in a difficult position then. I am trying to convince my husband to choose Hitchin but traffic may be a real issue.. I suppose I'll have to take the train...

Cosmosis1 Mon 21-Oct-13 20:04:12

The south side is lovely, near open fields, the villages yet close enough to walk into town,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now