Local Talk

Infant / junior schools letchworth

(30 Posts)
olivemegmog Tue 15-Oct-13 07:02:29

Hi there, I asked about this a few days ago but haven't had any responses so far. Does anyone have any experience of infant and junior schools on the north side of letchworth town? I keep reading how the schools are better on the south side. Hillshot and lordship... Have read ofsted reports for icknield infants, wilbury, stonehill and northfields and also st nicholas in norton. Northfields and norton seem the best ofsted wise.however northfields feeds into the grange junior which does not seem as good..what I would really like is to hear from people who have actual experience of these schools so I'm not just looking at ofsted. I still need to look round and appreciate that this will also be a good guide...any help/ views greatly appreciated!

LetchworthHamster Mon 13-Jan-14 18:55:24

Yep good points about both schools.

I don't mean to denigrate Stonehill. The problem with any school visit is that you only see a snapshot of what school life is really like (same with Ofsted). Both Stonehill and Icknield suffered for us in that they were having a 'fun hour/afternoon' as a reward when we went around, which basically means not much teaching and a lot of noise! But ultimately as a parent all you can do is try and get a broad a snapshot as you can manage and try to make a decision. I've tried to do that through not only visits, but also the Ofsted reports and also talking to other parents.

I really liked the idea of Stonehill but I just know that combined nursery/reception room wouldn't be right for my shy DS. For some children it would probably be ideal!

I thiiiink we've made our decision now. Ultimately I'll be okay with either of our top two - their are pros and cons to both so if we don't get our first choice it's not the end of the world. We should get one of them. I think smile

olivemegmog Tue 14-Jan-14 18:00:32

Hi letchworth hamster..We are going to look round icknield soon...wherever your lo gets a place please keep in touch.

Thanks x
Ps I hope you get your 1st choice x

LetchworthHamster Sat 25-Jan-14 12:06:34

Thanks Olive! We went for Northfields first, mostly as I think it is the best fit for my son, though it will be a looooong walk for me!

Then Icknield, which is so close that if we end up there I will also be quite pleased as it will make life a lot easier. We should get in there as it's two minutes away, so I'm not even worried about third and fourth.

Fingers crossed smile

olivemegmog Thu 06-Feb-14 18:42:22

Hi letchworth hamster... Have you seen the most recent ofsted report for icknield infants. They did really well!

Rainbow44 Fri 05-Sep-14 17:27:19

Hey letchworthamster!

Just wondered how you got on with your application?

Some kids in our road didn't get into northfields this year... Which is a shame as it was their first choice. I think it was quite a high intake year ��.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now