Local Talk

Royston Schools

(3 Posts)
windym Thu 09-Jan-14 14:46:20

Hello,

We are looking to re-locate to Hertfordshire (currently in Harrow), and have narrowed down locations to Hitchin, Baldock, Royston and Bishop's Stortford. We have a two year old DD so right now finding good nurseries and primary schools is the priority. I've found lots of really useful information on most of these places on Mumsnet, except for Royston.

Is there anyone out there who can help give an honest opinion of what Royston is like? The schools all seem ok based on Ofsted. The property seems a lot more reasonable compared to Hitchin or Baldock prices, and the commute to London looks straightforward. All in all quite tempting.

Any comments would be most welcome. Thanks in advance smile

Windy

Moresleep7 Tue 28-Jan-14 10:14:29

Hi Windy

Ive just seen your message so I hope this isnt too late. I live in Royston and have done for the past 10 years. I have 3 children (and one on the way) My eldest are age 8 and 10.
My 8 year old goes to Icknield Walk First School and I have to say it is an excellent school. The teaching is good and the children are taught social skill and to look out for each other. Both my children have been very happy there and on the very rare occasion there has been any issue it has been dealt with seriously and promptly.
My daughter now goes to Greneway Middle School (which takes a bit of getting your head around if like me you are not used to middle schools!) and also loves it. Its right next door to the senior school (Meridian) and has excellent links with all of the first schools in Royston making it a very easy transition for the children. The recent ofsted report was a disappointment but only because it was awarded a 'good' when a lot of parents felt it really should be Outstanding. The headteachers at both schools are very available to both children and parents and run the schools to a very high standard.

I feel so lucky to have my children happy in both schools as it goes a long way towards making the mornings easier all round!!

If you want to message me for any more info then please do. I know its a minefield when trying to choose for your children.

PS. London (Kings X) is 35mins on the fast train - its stops at Royston and goes straight through to Kings X no stopping!

Sarah

windym Thu 30-Jan-14 21:29:00

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your response. Great to hear that the Royston schools are good and that your children are getting on well there. I really liked the place when I visited a few weeks ago. However we've just found somewhere to live in Baldock. I'm convinced we'll end up in Royston eventually though as it seems to have a lot going for it.

Thanks again.

Windy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now