How much did your loft conversion cost?

(7 Posts)
davidson96 Thu 28-Apr-16 11:04:03

We are considering doing our loft and adding a family bathroom (not in the loft)...but was just told by an architect to budget £70K for the project (assuming £60K would be for the loft, I guess)!! This seems expensive to me, but maybe I am out of touch.

We will be meeting several others, but would love to hear some thoughts on the expense from those who've been through the process recently, i.e. post 2014 maybe.

pippistrelle Thu 28-Apr-16 18:20:28

I'm not in Hertfordshire, OP, but I am in the south east, and we're having a loft conversion done now - one bedroom and shower room. It'll be finished soon, and will have cost about £60,000. That's with a bit of a mates rates element too, but we could have made it a bit lower by choosing a more straightforward design as we ended up having to have some big things specially made, but there are extras in there that that we hadn't anticipated at the beginning of the process, like having to replace almost all the doors in our house, as we had rubbish cheapy ones that didn't meet fire regs. So, FWIW, I reckon your architect is in the right ballpark. Sorry if that's disappointing.

StripeyWife Tue 28-Jun-16 21:35:52

Hi we had a loft conversion in our small 2 bed Victorian semi in St. Albans before Xmas last year to give us an extra bedroom. Without decorating, which hubs is still trying to finish, it cost us £40k. We did have to turn our stairs around so it would have been bit cheaper without that. If your house is larger and you're looking to get another room and bathroom I think £60k is fair estimate. Hope this helps.

Dolphinnoises Wed 29-Jun-16 14:06:48

Also - I'd get a reputable builder around to quote as well. When we were going to have an extension we were quoted much less by the architect than the builders. A surveyor later told me that at least 50% of the jobs he goes on where the client mentions the architect's estimate, it's a wild underestimate...

jellycat1 Wed 29-Jun-16 14:39:21

£55k ish.

davidson96 Fri 08-Jul-16 12:28:36

Thanks so much, all. StripeyWife...what builder did you go with? We are near St. Albans.

MissJEB Fri 22-Jul-16 12:22:54

Hi, not sure if you are still looking for Info. A friend owns a loft company they will be able to give you a guide price if you tell them your house type etc. Have a look at give them a call if you need help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now