St Albans - Maple or City?

(7 Posts)
HeyMicky Wed 25-May-16 12:48:49

I'm moving to St Albans, bright 8 year old DD. I've been offered a mid-year place at both Alban City School and Maple.

Both have great results. Does anyone have a view one way or the other on things like pastoral care, extra curricular activities, G&T provision?

Decorhate Wed 25-May-16 17:51:32

Maple has had an excellent reputation locally for decades. Personally I'd chose Maple over the newer school. I've heard a few negative. whispers about the pastoral side at the other school recently.

gardencrater Wed 25-May-16 19:49:48

Maple has an excellent reputation with good pastoral care / ethos. Personally I would definitely go for Maple if I have been given choice between the two esp when the child is bright !

HeyMicky Thu 26-May-16 08:43:02

That's really helpful, thanks!

jeanepic Thu 26-May-16 14:14:07

I would definitely opt for Maple School as they have very good teaching standards and thrive for excellent behavior which helps increasing self esteem of the child. The other new free school heard to be good but with behavior problems as well. A small group really quite old nasty kids messing about with aggressive behavior. Heard some moved on to a different school. Gardencity JMI also has very good methods like awards, name on golden leaf, much more rewarding and encouraging methods like Maple.

BlueMaus Sat 28-May-16 22:02:28

Mine were at Maple and were very happy . Local gossip about the New free school is quite subway ! Heard few bunch of kids are quite disruptive, and chaotic at the new free school. I think as a parent you might be lot more happier with Maple. But end of it all its your choice.

davidson96 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:38:58

Alban City is fantastic! Just got Primary School of the Year from Herts Advertiser. Lots of awards. I've not heard one negative or anything about disruptive children. They've also just got the go-ahead for brand new playground. Great Head Teacher, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now