schools in Watford and the area

(6 Posts)
ValRin Tue 06-Sep-16 13:35:55

I am new to mumsnet so I hope this is the right place to ask and apologies if it is too long.
The main thing I am interested to know is: are there any recommendations to villages/areas where good state schools are not oversubscribed in Hertfordshire ?
We decided to move closer to my husband's new job in the summer. Part of the relocation package included rent while we sell our old house and find a place to buy. Being very naive (and despite living here for almost two decades not completely aware of UK schools system) we looked around for good state schools and Watford sounded promising- with so many good schools in the area, it can't be too complicated?? well...
We moved into a rented accommodation here and started to look for a house to buy and applied to four schools that we liked here and were in our catchment area. One of them just around the corner from us (Nascot wood).
Now the longer it took for the answer to arrive we started to worry. We received the final answer during the summer holiday and it is one of the worst options I imagined. I am not sure I should say the name of the school but after visiting it and interacting with the people I am sure this is not a school that would make my kids thrive. All other schools are oversubscribed and waiting list is long.
I am starting to think about any other options. Some are desperate measures like pay for prep school which I am not keen.
We are still looking for a place to buy but I am starting to look for other areas and thought I could use your help and advice. We are looking to buy at around £600,000 and prefer it to be in this area but not necessary.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Val

inthevillage Tue 06-Sep-16 17:51:11

I presume you are talking about primary? Have you checked out Ofsted? There are a lot of good, and a number of not so good schools across the Watford area. Most schools are at or very close to capacity. There is a new free school due to open I. The centre of Watford soon - although obviously don't know it's standards or ethos yet.

KatiInGarston Tue 06-Sep-16 18:15:12

You know you have to say which school it was you didn't like, don't you? grin I've heard good things about Nascot Wood and Cassiobury.

sittinginthesun Tue 06-Sep-16 21:33:01

How many, and old are the children? If you are buying, you need to consider secondary as well.

How about Croxley or further towards Rickmansworth? Have you looked at schools around there?

ValRin Wed 07-Sep-16 09:58:57

Thanks so much for all your answers, I certainly should have used mumsnet before grin
The kids are on year 2 and 5 so we do have to think of secondary school too. The new school you meant is lancheater? It's open but already full capacity believe it or (plus only goes to y3 for now). I'll look up Croxley and Rickmansworth.
The kids started school today and I have to admit I felt really bad to send them there.

sittinginthesun Wed 07-Sep-16 14:21:27

I've sent you a pm (private message - click on the icon of a person at the top of the page).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now