Flu vaccine for kids?

(5 Posts)
davidson96 Mon 19-Sep-16 14:30:03

Just curious if anyone can offer either some pros or cons of administering the flu vaccine to a five year old. We're considering it, but the studies (from what I can tell) don't look that convincing. Any insight out there? Thanks.

ReallyTired Mon 19-Sep-16 16:47:34

My daughter had the flu vaccine and it in affect give her a mild version of flu. Her classmates experienced the same. I don't know if it was a rouge batch. 10/30 children were off and interestingly none of the Muslim children who parents had refused the vaccine because it contains pork were affected.

My daughter won't be having the flu vaccine if she is offered it again.

PinkFondantFancy Mon 19-Sep-16 22:45:42

Mine won't be having it. Inadequate safety studies and it doesn't work - US and Belguim aren't giving it anymore.

ReallyTired Mon 19-Sep-16 23:09:48

Unless your child is in regular contact with a vulnerable person, I think its fine to choose not to vaccinate. My daughter won't be having it. At the age of seven her chances of surviving flu are excellent.

I think there would be more sense to give the vacinne to Ds during his GCSE years as missing 2 weeks of school is more critical during the GCSE years. Somehow I don't think he would be keen on feeling grotty for two days.

davidson96 Wed 21-Sep-16 06:04:14

Great feedback everyone...we've also decided not to vaccinate. I support public health, but the studies just don't prove the efficacy for us on this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now