(8 Posts)
christina60 Tue 27-Sep-16 16:55:15

Hi Maybe I am wrong here. So please be gentle if I am.
Many years ago, we in Harpenden had a lovely bookshop called Harpenden Books. Sadly, due to horribly expensive rents, the bookshop had to close. A few months ago, a new book shop opened and it was called Harpenden Books. Fabulous!! I thought. They are back! So, I bought a few books and gifts. The bag they put my items in was a Waterstones bag! Strange - I thought this was an independent shop.
The front signage states Harpenden Books. There is no information at all about Waterstones (except for the bag - if you ask for one).
So I asked the assistant if the shop was Waterstones. Yes it is, well sort of - was her reply. She said it was Waterstones but the books are selected by a group who are aiming at the local community. Then she said - it is about bringing local businesses to the community.
I am sorry but how is this bringing local businesses to the community? It is Waterstones conning the local community into believing that the shop is privately owned.
Can someone please explain?

ReallyTired Tue 27-Sep-16 20:41:52

Maybe waterstones bought the harpenden books business. (Possibly saving the owner from losing everything.)

NigellaTufnel Tue 27-Sep-16 21:30:17

No one is being conned, they are pretty open about being in partnership with Waterstones.
This model is used in Southwold, and Rye as well and I think some other small towns.

And the local bookshop was a bit rubbish really. Very limited range. I was particularly unimpressed when the had never even heard of Andrew O'Hagan. Tsk!

christina60 Wed 28-Sep-16 11:12:53

Thanks for your comment but I am not convinced. So why not just say who they are on their signage?

Colneybear Wed 28-Sep-16 21:04:44

They're trying to appeal to a local market. I think it's ok really, would rather have it than nothing. I think water stones is ok, a good business.

pointyshoes Tue 04-Oct-16 18:24:38

To be fair, the independent bookshop wasn't that great. It closed down some years ago. Had it still been trading, then the arrival of Waterstones would have been a different matter and might well have put it out of business. However, better Waterstones than no bookshop at all. I don't think Waterstones are trying to deceive anyone - loads of people knew that they were going to open before they actually arrived.

pointyshoes Tue 04-Oct-16 18:27:17

Also, just thought, wasn't the independent shop called "Bookstack" rather than "Harpenden Books"?

HeartyHerts Wed 05-Oct-16 05:23:37

I think everyone knew it was a Waterstones before it opened. It's lovely to have a bookshop though and there are so few ones left on the high street in general. I would rather buy there than online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now