Primary Schools - Manor Lodge / Beechwood Park / Westbrook Hay

(7 Posts)
Twosmellyboys Tue 18-Oct-16 20:10:39

We are starting to think about the scary world of primary school applications for our eldest.... We have obviously been to open days etc but I would be really interested in hearing from anyone who has views on Manor Lodge, Beechwood Park or Westbrook Hay. I appreciate that they are very different schools, and for that reason, each have pros and cons. Obviously it would depend on getting in too! Many thanks in advance.

birdie1972 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:39:12

I have 2 boys at Beechwood, yr6 &8. Can't recommend it highly enough.

ReallyTired Mon 07-Nov-16 22:04:56

These schools are grographically quite far apart. I think you need to consider logistics. How are you going to manage the daily commute.

I don't know about the other schools, but I don't believe Westbrook Hay is selective. Or at least I don't know anyone whose child failed to get into Westbrook Hay.

sittinginthesun Mon 07-Nov-16 22:10:09

I know people at WH. They are happy with it, their dcs's are moving onto schools that they are very happy with. Definitely not selective.

No experience of the others, sorry. Where are you based, as there are a lot of other preps in the area?

Twosmellyboys Mon 07-Nov-16 22:18:59

Thanks everyone for your replies. We are on the western edge of St Albans so theoretically just over 15 mins (in zero traffic) from each of ML and BP. Since writing this post we have actually discounted WH on the basis of the commute, it's not actually that far, if only you didn't have to get through Hemel....

The plan is to do the morning drive to each of ML and BP in the next few weeks to see how they go. I have driven a few times to the ML locality in rush hour so know what to expect of that, BP is more of an unknown.

Thanks again, any further words of wisdom much appreciated!

birdie1972 Mon 07-Nov-16 22:30:38

Sounds like we live geographically near you. Morning commute between 20-25mins depending on route - I tend to use M1 in morning, Redbourn road in evening. There is a minibus which goes from Branch Road and Waitrose in the mornings (and evenings). Mine have used this since little - plus always options to lift share with others. Not sure if you can PM on here but happy to talk to you more if you'd like more info!

Twosmellyboys Tue 08-Nov-16 13:37:31

Thanks birdie1972, I had seen the Branch Rd pickup and it would be very convenient for us when they are old enough to manage the bus (and the slightly longer day that it entails, I guess). It is really helpful to hear some parental feedback smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now