Local Talk

High Wycombe - nice area to move to ???

(13 Posts)
Whooziemummy Mon 17-May-10 00:37:40

Hi! just starting to look into possibly moving to High Wycombe this summer. Maybe someone out there can help please..
Moving due to hubby's job nearby and trying to decide between Marlow (expensive !!) and High Wycombe (not sure if more reasonable?).
Could anyone give me tips re nice areas to live (we'll be renting to start with) and good primary schools please. We have a soon to be 4 yr old (due to start school this September) and a 1 year old. Missed all school deadlines and very stressed about that..confused

BramblyHedge Thu 20-May-10 23:48:45

What is your budget/ type of house wanted etc? I live in HW and it has its good and bad points but overall we are happy here. It would help to know what you currently have and what your expectations are. My 4 yr old starts school in Sept as well smile

peteswife Wed 09-Jun-10 13:09:08

I moved to Wooburn Green from Kent over 20 years ago and raised a child in the Wooburn Green area just outside of High Wycombe. The location you choose really does depend on your budget. We were given a list of areas to avoid and some good advice on rush hour traffic etc. Knowing the area now, I bought in the best area for my budget and still live happily in the same house. St Pauls School in Wooburn Green is locally regarded as a good infant school. And there are Grammar schools if your child is lucky enough to qualify. I hope you will be very happy.

gramercy Wed 09-Jun-10 13:10:48

Far too hilly for me.

SGeorge Fri 24-Sep-10 19:49:06

Dear Mums,

We have a 7 year old boy and are looking to move into the High Wycombe area. We are currently in Pinner.

The main reason for moving is to upgrade to a slightly bigger house in a good location and near good grammar schools but with option of good state/private schools as well in case we cannot get into the grammar.

Please could you advise on the desirable areas and if you don't mind, the areas to avoid.

Our budget is around the 400k mark and we are looking for a spacious 3 bed semi.

Many thanks
SGeorge

JaxTellersOldLady Fri 24-Sep-10 19:54:54

I would avoid HW town centre and move to one of the surrounding villages, Gt Missenden, Hazlemere, Holmer Green, Gt Kingshill and Princes Risborough, all have good schools, primary and secondary and grammer.

hope that helps.

If you want more info then you can PM me.

jeanjeannie Tue 28-Sep-10 08:35:31

I agree with Jax. We're near the RGS (quite close into town) and it's not very nice although handy to walk for the shops.

Our girls are pre-school age and we're looking to go to Bourne End / Flackwell Heath / Wooburn for the primary schools. It's near the river but also has handy access to Berkshire (cookham) which means more options with schools later on. You may find a reasonable 3 bed for 400k - although not much on the market ATM, but I think the prices are coming down a bit.

Maybe take a look at Amersham / Chesham too if you want to extend your viewing areas.

Bergmansbabe Wed 12-Jan-11 14:23:08

Hi there - I'm new to the Marlow area and wondered if anyone would have any advice on good preschools in the area? I have a 2yr, 5 month old son, and have just embarked on the search! I'm lost! Thanks

Marjoriew Sat 22-Jan-11 18:35:46

Marlow CofE ist school has a very good pre-school attached to it.
There is also one in Glade Road but I can't quite remember the name of it.

ChocChipChunk Sat 22-Jan-11 20:09:30

We're near the station, easy walk to town and school, decent-sized house, reasonably priced, great when it snows as we can still get out and about.

Love the town and all it has to offer, plus easy access to london, countryside and rest of UK.

Hate the two-tier education system as only 30% of children are granted places at grammar schools, irrespective of their score in the 11+, so the other 70% spend their lives believing they are stupid failures, while the 30% who pass believe they are superior to everyone else. Every child deserves an outstanding education, not just a selected few.

We'll be sad to leave, but will move to a town within the comprehensive system when our oldest reaches year 5.

Flutterbye Sat 29-Jan-11 19:23:54

Most schools in bucks are of a good standard. We're in village called Stokenchurch (high on a hill, right next to M40), just outside HW. V. pleased with it, moved here with first child 7 yrs ago, good friends, good transport, good shops, fab schools. Good luck.

mummy2you Sat 19-Feb-11 13:03:19

Hi There,
the little villages around high wycombe are pretty much perfect.Penn,great missenden,beaconsfield.
Chiltern hills surround, great state schools,
& polite neighbours.
Shopping within easy reach in amersham, marlow,
& eden or windsor for superb choice.
Hope you find a good place , your budget could buy a starter place for now, till you get to know the area better.
good luck....

Honestyisbest Fri 01-Jun-12 22:25:34

We love bledlow ridge. Near to w Wycombe, good train service, primary school etc. nice views.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now