Local Talk

Beaconsfield??

(37 Posts)
themaleworrier Wed 23-Jun-10 11:03:07

Professional Couple in Beaconsfield expecting 1st baby in December seek similar for mutual help, support, advice and alcohol over the coming months/maybe years! He, 40 works in film, DW mid-30s charity Director. In Beaconsfield for 2 years, exiles from Notting Hill and finding the natives here a bit "odd".
Is there anyone out there....???!

wwe are planning on moving from Queens park, I grew up in Notting hill/Holland park..hang on in there and we'll come soon!

our DD is 8 months old so my DH can talk you through how survived ...JUST!!!!!

themaleworrier Sat 10-Jul-10 13:38:09

thanks tiredbutlearning! can't wait for some news from civilization! BTW, if you need a list of useful local people (builders/cleaners/handyman etc. etc.) then let me know.

charimito Tue 20-Jul-10 18:01:17

Hello we're a young couple new to Beaconsfield, and we'd love to meet new friends!

Our baby is due the 27th of September

themaleworrier Tue 27-Jul-10 18:52:02

Hi Charimito; it sounds like you might soon be too busy to make new friends!! How are you finding life in B'field? Did you do NCT classes here? Were they any good?? We start ours at the end of September and I'm not looking forward to it although DW says that it's the ONLY way to meet people. What were the other people like?

Jacqinthebox Fri 30-Jul-10 14:16:05

Hello there,
Good luck with move.

I am expecting a baby at the end of September. I also run drop-in music classes for babies and toddlers in the beaconsfield area in Holtspur at St. Thomas' Church Hall on Thursdays. (Be back from Thursday 9th September 3.15pm to 4.30pm)

That's a good way to meet other local parents etc.

charimito Tue 03-Aug-10 06:09:27

Hello the maleworrier! Nope, we are taking all of our antenatal classes in west London, because that's where we used to live, sorry we can't be of much help!

It's funny that a lot of us emigrated from West London!

themaleworrier Thu 05-Aug-10 08:49:17

Hi Charmito; there does seem to be a bit of a migration going on from West London - maybe some of the trappings of civilization will follow like some decent restaurants, a good wine shop (better than beastly Laithwaites), a good local cinema etc. etc. Where are having your baby?

charimito Thu 05-Aug-10 11:44:34

We're booked at Queen Charlotte's. My dear hubby didn't bub's birthplace to be Slough (which is the closest one). I wanted to give birth at the Portland Hospital, but sadly its too far away from Beaconsfield What about you?

themaleworrier Sun 15-Aug-10 22:12:38

There'a question. DW didn't like the thought of the Portland because it doesn't have any emergency care and you can end up having to be shuttled down the road to UCL. Also costs were obviously astronomical. So we stuck with the good 'ole NHS and because Wycombe is Midwife-lead the only choice was Stoke Mandeville! shock. However, worryingly DW has now developed a blot clot, probably as a result of having APS, so it looks like her care is being moved to St. Thomas's where there is a APS clinic and a very good paediatric/maternity care. Plus a whole floor of private rooms. .
How is your DH looking forward to your new arrival? We interviewed our maternity nurse a couple of weeks ago and that REALLY made everything suddenly seem very real!!

MummyGeorgie Sun 22-Aug-10 11:45:33

Hi themaleworrier,

I'm in Henley-On-Thames and due end of Feb/ early March. The natives here are also a bit odd (I decamped from Brentwood/ working in The City broking a little over two years ago and still haven't quite worked it all out)

Husband, early 30's company director and car obsessive, me 27, work for the emergency services (slight career change!) and would love to meet new friends for ongoing support, pub lunches, friendship... and to avoid too much solitary wine drinking when the ban is finally lifted!

Karensp Mon 06-Sep-10 20:01:05

Hi all,
We have also moved to the area from Chiswick, been here four weeks now and desperate to meet up and have a conversation and a glass of wine with someone other than my children! youngest is 9 months now. So please let me know if you are planning a meet up.

M2Be Sun 19-Sep-10 13:07:36

Hi all

We are fairly new to the area from London and live in Flackwell Heath. We are expecting our first child in early February.

I'm early 30s and a Deputy Headteacher. My husband is mid 30s and works as a Product Developer. We are happy to meet up.

JaxTellersOldLady Sun 19-Sep-10 13:20:28

some of you are being very rude! You talk of 'the natives' as if they are savages, however, you will find that they are more than likely people like yourself who have migrated from London.

And Stoke Mandeville is a fantastic hospital with excellent care, especially in the maternity wing. Just wait until you need it for your child at the new A&E paediatric wing, it is far better than most London hospitals I have had to visit, with the exception of GOSH.

MollieO Sun 19-Sep-10 13:37:55

Wexham is also fantastic and takes babies under 30 weeks in SCBU (not all hospitals do). Ds was born there and had the most amazing care (they saved his life). I'm glad he has Slough on his birth certificate as without the care he had from birth and on going he wouldn't have survived to be a now healthy six yr old.

Wexham has private rooms and a relatively new (3 yrs old) birthing centre.

Fwiw lots of so-called 'natives' (myself included) work in the City so I'm surprised that you see a difference. hmm

Karen14 Tue 13-Dec-11 20:01:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

fsaw15 Wed 14-Mar-12 11:03:26

I realise this thread is old but I'm now in the same situation, kind of. We moved to Amersham a few years ago from London and had our first baby in November 2011. Just moved to Beaconsfield and not sure where to find baby groups/coffee mornings etc where I can meet others like me. Husband works full time in London.
If there's anyone out there with ideas/in same situation, please let me know!!

(Not quite sure why previous posts think natives are strange here - just the same as everyone else!!)

MumofMatty Tue 04-Sep-12 14:29:34

We have just moved to Beaconsfield and have a DS who turned 2 at the end of July. We are from the UK but moved from Dubai so sort of starting over again. Can anyone recommend any good children's groups or where to find groups/coffee mornings etc. Music, play anything would be good! I'd like to meet other Mum's in the area to.

fsaw15 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:52:02

Hi MumofMatty,

I've tried a couple of groups but am still looking. My little one is 10months - bit of an age gap but if you are looking for someone to meet for coffee etc please let me know.

Dordeydoo Thu 18-Oct-12 18:13:22

I'd recommend brindleys house - is a day nursery but has a public cafe attached with toys and a ball pool for the children. I love it there!!
The Curzon centre also has quite a lot going on

SilverSky Thu 25-Oct-12 15:29:51

I've an almost two yr old and a 3mo and local to the area. Be happy to meet.

luckychri Tue 15-Jan-13 15:09:22

Hello,

we are looking into moving to Beaconsfield. We have a daughter, she is 11 month old. Can anyone please tell me what it's like there???!!!

Thanks a million!

BucksMumJen Fri 01-Feb-13 22:22:49

Hi Luckychri - it's the Local Editor here!
Beaconsfield is a fantastic area, with lots to offer both kids and adults alike. Brilliant location for commuting - half an hour journey to London, and easy access to major motorways. I'm sure you've done some research already, but the three state schools (Butlers Court, St Mary's & Holtspur) are all really good and there are plenty of other private schools around if you prefer. You mentioned your daughter is only 11 months old, so secondary school is years away, but it's worth knowing the Grammar school system is in operation here with 11+ entrance exam. It appears lots of pressure comes with this, but fab if they pass as the Grammar schools are great.
Lots of nurseries, do your research and take a look at these sooner rather than later (some smaller ones have big waiting lists).
There is SO much to do around here for families, lots of out door spaces, and local attractions all within short distances. For the grown ups there are plenty places for a childfree night out, and for a proper grown up night there is always the Crazy Bear (worth a visit for the people watching alone!)
I see earlier in the thread people have mentioned the 'locals being odd', but I guess that depends on your point of reference, and who you chance upon. Most people here seem to have moved out of London, and in my experience are very friendly and normal (whatever that means!).
Good luck with the move, and let me know if you'd like any more specific info.
smile

twinkletwinkle2011 Sun 24-Mar-13 20:58:38

Hi Ladies,
We're new to Beaconsfield we moved in a week ago! My little girl is 2 and I would love to meet other mothers with little ones around the same age.
Desperate need of new local friends to meet up with and also to share info on local groups and activities.
I'm planning to go to storytime at the library on Tuesday morning. Has anyone been? Thoughts?
Also we are going to start Monkey Music and give Tumble Tots a try too.

Would love to hear from anyone else looking to make new friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now