Local Talk

Raigmore Hospital - Inverness - What is it like???

(22 Posts)
alibaabaa Tue 09-Dec-08 22:32:25

Hi all. Due in May with No2. Had ECS with DD and so can't just have a MLU birth!! Been told it will be raigmore, or could go for Elgin. Any stories for either would be appreciated, as crapping it at the moment!!!!!
thanks
Alice

I had all 4 of my DDs in Raigmore, DD1 and DD2 emergency c-sections and DD3 and DD4 were elective sections and I thought that they were brilliant and have looked after me really well each time. Don't worry too much, they're there to help yousmile

Hi Alice.

I had DS in Elgin last year and would go back without a second thought.

I chose it over Raigmore because their policy in Highland was to only offer a 12 week scan - no 20 week anomaly scan available. I'm not sure if this is still the case. My GP (here in Highland) had also had her children in Dr Gray's and was very supportive of my choice.

I ended up with an elective section due to positioning but the care really was brilliant and they let me out quickly too.

Depending on where you are based Elgin's just as close really, and it is a smaller, quieter unit. It also means you are under close care of a consultant who you'll meet during the pregnancy whereas in Raigmore you might find yourself shunted through registrars first. Dr Cumming is fabulous

I've heard a few grumbles about Raigmore but I have no personal experience of its maternity unit.

I have had 2 (well strictly speaking 1) at raigmore and they are lovely. Where did you have DD? I found raigmore maternity unit very friendly.

I believe that they are now offering 20 week scans at raigmore-finally!

*Hijack*

fabulous name Flier!

**Hijack end**

grin same to you iate

beautifulday Wed 31-Dec-08 19:23:31

I had a ems last year and the care I received afterwards was very good the mw's in ward 10 were excellent. A few of them just like to have a good gossip which is very nice! Of course there will be one who will be like an old matron but most of them are brill. A friend of a friend is a mw there and she ended up looking after me when I came out of theatre. the labour mw were really nice too but I ended up with one brilliant one and when i needed her the most her shift ended and ended up with someone who was really nice once i had the epidural and went to theatre but before that she was as much use as a chocolate teapot. The staff on whole are very nice. The hospital itself is clean and compared to queen mums in Glasgow which i ended up being transferred to is like a hotel! The only thing i didn't like was the meal situation having to order it etc when I was in glasgow they had a kitchen that you could go to and help yourself any time of day which was fab esp if you weren't around when the meals were delivered as there was always heaps of left overs. - but thats just the food! its no big deal really is it! LOL. oh and glasgow they had a cold water machine whereas in raigmore its just a water machine and the water is warm which is rubbish! however when you are in the labour ward they will supply you with ice but in the normal ward you would need to take some ice in a flask with you.
I found the drs pretentious to be honest and on guard all the time but I guess my case was slightly different to what most people go through. I am due no2 in July and am trying my best not to think about it at the mo. I didn't go into labour naturally so that is a problem and if I dont manage this time by my due date (i was 15 days late when ds was born) I am going to opt for an elective. hope it goes well for you x

caramelwafer Thu 15-Jan-09 14:32:51

I was in Raigmore in August for 5 nights and it was fine, they looked after me and DD very well. Staff were really good on the whole, though a bit grumpier on night shifts, but then I suppose thats fair enough! Food in Raigmore is supposed to be better than Elgin.

cheshirekitty Sun 18-Jan-09 21:07:43

Trained as a midwife at Raigmore and had my dd there as well (19 years ago). I remember the hospital was very clean.

Worked on ward 10 until I left on mat leave.

claire2711 Mon 04-Jan-10 13:51:46

I am 23 weeks at the moment and was informed in december that I wont be eligible for a 20week scan in Raigmore, as Im past their "cutoff" date. GRRR so angry! have sent an email complaining, but does anyone know if a sobstory to GP would help??x

Mistymoo Mon 04-Jan-10 14:03:28

I had both mine in Raigmore and both times were fine. I'm now pregnant with my third and am due in April and so will have the next one there too.

I only had a 12 wk scan with my first. With my second I had more as she was breech and so they were checking her position more and eventually decided to turn her before my date. This was successful and the consultant was brilliant. He wouldn't let the midwife give me gas and air because he said if it was sore then he would not continue.

I have had my 12 week scan and will not be having any more unless there are complications with this pregnancy.

VJay Fri 08-Jan-10 16:27:47

Hi Claire, I was suprised not to be offered a 20 week scan up here too. I had ds1 back home in Cheshire and it's what they do down there, but they don't offer them in Highland. I'd had 2 mc before this last pg but they still wouldn't scan me at 20 weeks, so I went private in Aberdeen. Ds2 was born in September in Raigmore and all was fine smile

flier Fri 08-Jan-10 16:36:33

Claire it may well be worth speaking to your gp or midwives. Tell them of any specific worries you may have. you never know...

when do they start the 20 week scans?

VJay Fri 08-Jan-10 17:18:20

I was told I could get a 20 week scan in Elgin but it would have meant transfering all my notes to there and having baby there, but it was too far to travel for all appointments etc.

FiStrach Tue 27-Apr-10 12:17:52

I had my wee boy in Raigmore last June, and haven't a bad word to say about it. All the midwives/auxilliarys etc. were great. I felt extremely well looked after and supported -especially during the birth itself.

I will definitely be going back there next time.

Maragga Mon 10-May-10 12:38:44

Just had baby number one in raigmore and it was good except moved 7 times in 4 days! They do now offer 20 week scans - I got one at 23 weeks by phoning up and crying so give it a go!

Natpacker Mon 10-Jan-11 14:23:52

Hi there, I'm due to move up to Inverness in a few months, and currently 12 weeks pregnant, so I guess I'll have both my scans before I get there in Glasgow. Does anybody know what the midwifes are like up there for homebirths? This is my first pregnancy so no experience of all this.

doricpatter Tue 11-Jan-11 22:24:21

Bump

carms32 Sat 14-Jan-12 20:29:36

I am currently 18 weeks with my first and moving from Elgin to Nairn.My lovely midwife in Elgin ,who i am sorry to be losing as i must transfer to highland,has adviced me to ring both units and arrange for a walk around to get a feel for both places before deciding.I know of people that have delivered in both and all seem positive.But i suppose every experience will be different.

gaelicsheep Sat 14-Jan-12 20:38:02

Yes they definitely now do 20 week scans at Raigmore. I had one with my DD just after they changed the policy, about a year ago now.

I delivered in Raigmore and it was fine, although to be fair I was only in the delivery room for 40 mins grin. I stayed in for a night and it was OK. Breastfeeding support is pretty crap.

gaelicsheep Sat 14-Jan-12 20:39:16

Just realised I answered a really really old OP! oops

carms32 Sun 15-Jan-12 10:20:50

same!never really looked at the date till now..oh well i am sure it all worked out fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now