Local Talk

Reusable nappies - lack of support from hillingdon council.

(14 Posts)
JennyPennyNAPPYWEB Thu 01-Oct-09 20:52:34

Hello. I am just trying to find out how local mums feel. Most councils offer support, information and financial help for Mums who want to use cloth nappies, because it helps so much to reduce the rubbish going into landfill as well as lots of other environmental factors. Hillingdon offer absolutly nothing.

I am a new Nappy advisor and retailer and TBH I am doing hillingdons hard work for them by trying to promote cloth nappies and help Mums get started with them. But I shouldn't really have to.

Hillingdon are claiming there is not enough interest in cloth nappies to warrent a nappy incentive scheme. But really I believe the lack of interest is just because of the lack of support and lack of promotion.

I am hoping to start up sort of like a "petition" to show hillingdon council that other Mums are behind me on this issue as I already know a few people who feel the same as me.

If anybody can help or would like to sign your details for me, please email me at:

jennifer_webb@hotmail.co.uk

BunnyBaby Mon 30-Nov-09 13:13:33

Happy to sign, got into a row with them first time your about this!

catherineyates@yahoo.com

babycoach Thu 29-Jul-10 22:26:06

Happy to back this. I've just moved to Hillingdon and am really suprised that no support or incentive is offered.

Andrea (info@babycoach.co.uk)

Carrie06 Wed 11-Aug-10 12:28:46

I emailed them when pregnant to ask about this but got told much the same....annoying given that folks in Harrow get given a voucher.

NappyLibrary Sat 17-Nov-12 23:08:34

Have emailed you JennyPennyNAPPYWEB

You can probably guess what I do now! There is definitely interest, the Nappy Library that I run is proof of such. Pinning the council down is tricky, this week is European Week for Waste Reduction, so I'm on a daily campaign / pester to try and get the council to support cloth nappy incentives!

mrsjadelawrence Sat 08-Dec-12 18:27:37

I was amazed that they do not provide this service, one of the few boroughs not to do so. mrsjadelawrence@gmail.com

Moved Sat 08-Dec-12 18:37:52

I moved away from Hillingdon 2 years ago & enquirer to the council & was told there was no interest . . . . I met a couple of other Mums who were told the same . . . .

mrsjadelawrence Mon 10-Dec-12 11:08:02

Tweeted Hillingdon Council this thread, got this reply:

'Hi, we'll pass on your comments to the relevant department, we have looked into this scheme before and do review services'.

It might help, you never know?

HillingdonCharlotte Tue 11-Dec-12 14:43:53

Hiya all. Yes, we got your tweet and we have passed your feedback on. Just for your info, I've worked for the council for just over five years and this is the first request I have heard of. smile People could of course have written to their councillor or the waste department directly though. We'll post here if we hear of any changes.

NappyLibrary Wed 12-Dec-12 20:43:41

@HillingdonCharlotte
It would be great to talk to someone directly at the council about this issue. I'm running a local nappy library that lends out cloth nappies and provides an advice service too. I have had no response from the council but am now working with local childrens centres, playgroups and individual parents.

My email is HillingdonNappyLibrary@hotmail.co.uk
we're also on facebook; https://www.facebook.com/HillingdonNappyLibrary
and twitter; @HillingdonNappy

look forward to hearing from you soon!

HillingdonCharlotte Fri 14-Dec-12 14:46:01

Thanks NappyLibrary. I will find out who the right person is to talk to and get them to contact you!

NappyLibrary Thu 21-Mar-13 20:49:55

We are running some events for Real Nappy Week this year, in particular a Great Cloth Diaper Change event. It would be great to see some of you there, and even greater if the council were involved!

NappyLibrary Thu 21-Mar-13 20:50:23

https://www.facebook.com/HillingdonNappyLibrary/events

princesscupcakemummyb Thu 18-Sep-14 14:33:36

this is something that is still not offered and we are now in 2014

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now