Local Talk

Where not to live in Hitchin

(6 Posts)
geeman Mon 15-Aug-11 00:38:04

Hi all

We are thinking of buying a house in hitchin. Doing some research online, it seems like westmill, wallsworth and purwell are to be avoided. Would you concur with that? We went to purwell and though it was ok, overlooking hitchin on one side and fields on another...

Any other areas i should be avoiding?

KSal Fri 19-Aug-11 15:10:29

I would agree with thast... sunnyside also not too great and some parts of the poets estate.

have you seen anywhere you like? Hitchin is a great place to live

AlisyasMummy Tue 30-Aug-11 18:01:15

My grandma has lived up purwell for most of her life and has never had a problem. I have only lived in Hitchin since October but never known anything major to happen as yet. I live by William Ransom School, opposite ninesprings estate and its a lovely quite little area x

KSal Wed 31-Aug-11 11:19:01

actually, you know what, I take back the purwell thing. I think I just discount it because I don't know it. I am also not aware of it being particularly bad.

I am pretty close to you AlisyasMummy and I agree its a nice little area (also great for the station). William Ransom is also a good school, I hear.

Akandra Fri 30-Sep-11 20:05:41

I think Hitchin is very much a place where you can look and see if you would be happy in a given location. Some parts of Westmill made me a bit uncomfortable, but other roads in that area (not part of Westmill but nearby) seem fine.

Not really sure what you are including in 'Walsworth' but I live near Walsworth Road and have never had any problems there. Its not the quietest part of town but thats what you get when you live near good transport links and the town centre. I feel quite safe walking around including late at night as its always quite busy.

Purwell also seems okay to me. I've looked at houses over there and they are nice.

I am about to move (looking to get a bigger place now we have DD, 2 cats and two gaming PCs smile). Within 1 mile of the station (so everything east of Bedford Road and north of Stevenage Road pretty much I am avoiding Sunnyside and Common Rise and thats about it.

twittergirl Tue 18-Oct-11 16:29:24

I live in Walsworth and it's fine. Parts of it don't look so great but there are plenty of nice parts so don't rule it out completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now