Local Talk

Nurseries in Highbury/Islington?

(30 Posts)
vdpmum Thu 19-Feb-09 08:53:45

Does anyone have nursery recommendations for N5 and surrounding areas? My son is due to start in September at 11 months, and I have been to see Little Angels (fine, but not sure), the Community Nursery (good vibe, but unsure of getting a place) and New Park, but have seen some mixed reviews of this last one.... Any thoughts gratefully accepted!

BabyBaby123 Fri 20-Feb-09 21:12:28

go for the community one - not the other two

newmumof2 Mon 02-Mar-09 17:39:52

what is the community nursery called?

little angels is over £80 a day! shock

there is also flora place nursery, my friends LO goes there and he loves it even if the ofsted for it sucks she says!

vdpmum Thu 05-Mar-09 19:16:04

There are several community nurseries -- the one we saw is called Highbury Community Nursery on Ambler Rd/St, I think, but there is Conewood too and there are others...

BabyBaby123 Fri 13-Mar-09 19:50:38

Aberdeen Park is the community one - it's on Highbury New Park (NOT to be confused with New Park Nursery....)

ClareLizP Thu 19-Mar-09 17:33:43

Hi - I'm also looking for full time childcare (probably nursery) in N5 from September as going back to work (boy will be 9 mths). Have looked at Little Angels and planning to look at New Park Montessori next week. Do you know what the criteria is for the community nurseries? There is Ambler and I think there is also one on Martineau Rd. I thought places would be quite limited and priorised by need for single parents etc. Sounds like it is worth looking at those anyway.

Bagabee Wed 19-Aug-09 19:53:17

Looking at nurseries in Highbury and intrigued by mixed review reference for New Park. Grateful for any insights! Will try two community nurseries as wasn't taken with Little Angels - just a bit too big...

ColRG Fri 15-Jan-10 12:35:15

I am also looking for a nursery or a nanny share in Highbury starting in about one year. Am due in March.
Could someone give me any more info on the Aberdeen Park nursery?
Have looked at New Park, but am not sure about it. Has anyone more info on it?
Thanks very much!

JustAnotherMum2b Sun 02-May-10 14:14:12

I'd also like people's views as my dd will be starting at N5 nursery next Feb when she's one. Getting a bit confused above though. So far as I can see, the options are:

Ambler Children's Centre, Ambler Rd
Conewood Children's Centre , Conewood St
Little Angels, Blackstock
Highbury Community Nursery, Aubert Park
Aberdeen Park, Highbury New Park
New Park Montessori, Highbury New Park
and soon...
Kids Unlimited, Gillespie

Recommendations (and warnings) welcome.

janx Mon 03-May-10 20:58:34

Aberdeen Park nursery is great. My dd went there from age 2.6 to 5 and ds went is there - he started when he was 1 and is now 2.4. The staff have been there for a long time and it is run as a co-op - it has a fab garden and is very laid back. They are planning building works in the summer so if you want to look at it - I would have a look before July as they will be moving out for a few months to a nursery round the corner.
The staff in the baby room are lovely and caring

janx Mon 03-May-10 20:59:58

sorry my grammar went a bit astray there - ds started when he was one and has been there for 1.5 years.
The staff in the older childrens bit are lovely too

Bagabee Wed 05-May-10 21:13:16

Some people mentioned mixed reviews re New Park - anyone willing to say what?

sarabeth Sun 09-May-10 12:17:25

My sister went to Aberdeen Park Nursery for just over 6 months and was severely bullied by some of the other children (she was only 2 at the time). This was never picked up by any of the staff and when we found this out my mum took her out of the nursery when the nursery eventually accepted it was happening they continued to do nothing about it, not to even speak to the parents of the other children or to actively keep them away from my sister. I ended up having to drop out of university for a term to fill in the childcare gap as we could not find another nursery for her to go to at such short notice.

To be fair on them, this was 7 years ago and things may have changed.

Juglieta Fri 05-Nov-10 19:55:13

Lola is almost three and we just moved to the area. Went to see Kids Unlimited this morning and I can not stress how amazing the facilities are or how lovely new toys are. The outside area knocked my socks off... and Maria was great too.

Crazyafterthought Wed 10-Nov-10 15:20:55

My older children spent from 6 months to 5 at Little Angels. We had 3 there at one time once- which was more than my salary but worth it. Although in the 7 years we were there there were concerns from time to time they managed these professionally and well. The kids learnt through play and arrived at school ready to get on with school work. The September ones were reading well and interested and chatty> I am expecting again for next year (after a long gap) and will send this one there too without hesitation from 5 or 6 months again.
I never worried at work because I was happy with their care and they LOVED going there every day.

ColRG Mon 15-Nov-10 20:53:19

Is the Kid's Unlimited one the new one near the old Arsenal Stadium? It looks v. nice, and our LO might be going into nursery in the New Year. Bit scared about that.

bonito Thu 20-Jan-11 11:23:52

can anyone give me any information on mildmay nursery. we have recently moved to the area and i am finding it difficult to find a place for my daughter to start nursery in may...aaah help please!!!

glamourbadger Fri 21-Jan-11 16:23:48

A number of my friends have used Little Angels and all the kids have loved it. Highly recommended if you can afford it. I looked around but was too much for my meagre salary! Ended up at the N16 Playgroup on Church St in Stokey - lovely staff and it served us well for a couple of years.

primevintage Sat 22-Jan-11 18:54:00

Hi all,
Im looking for a playschool (n7 or n5) for my two year old to go to a couple of days a week. (ive just had a new baby and need rest bite lol).

Can anyone advise one thats, reasonable, might have places and is nice!?!

Islingon website seems like a nitemare :-?
xxx

veejaay Mon 07-Feb-11 00:40:58

Does anyone have any insight on kids unlimited highbury? my son's due to start soon and I'd appreciate a bit more information.

maggiethecat Fri 01-Apr-11 23:15:32

Dd went to the Grove just off Essex Road and had a fantastic time - used to have to run around after her in the evenings to catch her to take home.

maggiethecat Fri 01-Apr-11 23:17:46

Should add that this was a few years ago but it's worth having a look at. We had looked at New Park as well and decided against it - was hard to say exactly why but children did not seem to have the twinkle in their eyes when we visited.

nannysusie Sat 30-Apr-11 18:36:05

I am a nanny based in N4 looking for a position with a baby. I have 10+ years experience and great references. I also have a CRB check and paediatric first aid training. If there are any families out there considering the nanny option I'd be happy to meet for a chat.

Kestryn Fri 13-May-11 15:43:33

DD went to Aberdeen Park about 7 years ago and absolutely loved it. As other people have said it was very laid back & relaxed, great garden, and they did things like jumping up & down in the dark with torches and running about with carrier bags on strings for kites. She used to come home filthy, knackered and happy.

ConfusedMumDotCom Mon 23-May-11 22:26:42

Hi. Our DS has a place at Kids Unlimited, but we have just been offered a place at Ambler (which we were not expecting). No idea how to choose between them. Any advice gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now