Local Talk

Volunteer Tutor with IntoUniversity

(1 Post)
IntoUniversityEastLondon Fri 30-Aug-13 16:56:22

IntoUniversity

Our after-school Academic Support Programme provides free tutoring and support to young people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, in a stimulating classroom environment. Young people receive tailored help with homework, coursework, revision and study skills.

Volunteer Tutors are required at each of our East London centres (Clapton, Haggerston and Mile End). Volunteers act as role models, supporting academic progress and providing inspiration and encouragement to young people for whom university education is not necessarily a common expectation.

Please note that all of our volunteering appointments are subject to an enhanced CRB check and suitable references.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who we are looking for

Our tutors must meet the following requirements:

- Minimum Grade C in English and Maths GCSE

- Enthusiasm for education

- Interpersonal skills

- Ability to act on initiative

- Patience

Apply Now

Please fill out the application form.

FAQs

What is the time commitment for the Academic Support Programme?
We ask that Volunteer Tutors commit to at least one session per week, for at least one term. Academic Support opens from 3:15 on weekdays and each session runs for approximately 2 hours.

Which age group will I support?
Volunteers are invited to indicate a preference for supporting a particular age group. Our sessions are separated into primary (age 7-10) and secondary (age 11+).

Where will I be based?
Depending on your preference you will either be based at one of our eight centres in London or at our centres in Nottingham or Bristol. Find out more about our education centres here.

Quotes from our volunteers

"If you want to help level the playing field for bright youngsters interested in university - and if you want to have a lot of fun into the bargain - you cannot do better than volunteering for Academic Support at IntoUniversity"

"The best thing about volunteering with IU is meeting the students, helping them, seeing them gain in confidence and rediscovering through the students' subjects knowledge that I thought I'd forgotten"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now