Local Talk

Mum new to Kensington area looking for other mums and playgroups!!

(32 Posts)
Shiff Wed 07-Oct-09 15:01:25

Hi! My five-month old son and I just moved to Kensington and we're looking for other mums in the area who would be up for a walk, a coffee, or a fun class! We've only been in London for five days but I'm already anxious to make some new friends Please let me know!!

extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 08-Oct-09 23:25:39

Hi Shiff Whereabouts do you live? There's a baby group at Emperors Gate I used to go to when dd was younger. Will have a think about other groups.

Shiff Sat 10-Oct-09 19:56:02

Thx so much! I live on Vicarage Gate - right off Kensington Church Street. I heard about play group through St. Mary Abbott's Church but I stopped by on Friday and found out that you have to belong to the church (or at least you get preference if you belong to the church and right now, the playgroup is full). If you think of anything else, please let me know!

Kingsroadie Fri 16-Oct-09 13:14:17

I would be interested to hear if you come up with any other playgroups - I am due 2nd Dec and live in Courtfield Gardens...although I suppose your baby has to be a bit older before you go to a playgroup? There is a new mums group at Me and My Baby Clinic on Fulham Road (I go there for yoga and have done NCT classes there too), but it's only once a month I think.

BelfastBloke Thu 05-Nov-09 06:37:28

The Under-3's playgroup at St Peter's Church in Kensington Park Road, next to Portobello Road, was always very good, well run.

At the moment I know that they meet in a different church, but will be moving back to St Peter's at the beginning of the New Year.

<looking it up>

They meet at the moment 945-1145 Tues-Fri at St Francis Church in Dalgarno Gardens. That's in the extreme north of the Ken&Chelsea parking zone, so if you have a car you could drive there and still park for free.

Kingsroadie Mon 09-Nov-09 14:17:05

Oh great - thanks - thhat's really helpful! I know St Peter's so thhat's good - I wouldn't be going before the new year anyway...

beanzmum Fri 04-Dec-09 15:05:32

Hi Shiff - I'm due in early March 2010, but am due to start maternity leave in early January ... and also live on Vicarage Gate. Let me know if you'd like to catch up for a coffee in mid-Jan onwards! I'm very keen to meet others locally as well.

The playgroup info is really helpful - thank you

bunnymother Mon 14-Dec-09 13:49:25

Hello!

I live in W8, and am going to go to the St George's baby and toddler group this Thursday morning (the last one before they re-commence on 4 January). It is located on Aubrey Walk, so also v close to Vicarage Gate.

If any of you fancy meeting up then love to have a coffee with you, too. My baby turned 6 months' old today and am always keen to meet more local mums. Esp as some of my mum friends have either gone back O/S (expats) or are going back to work.

SummerJade Tue 05-Jan-10 14:17:07

Hi, my baby girl is turning 8 months old this weekend but I haven't done any playgroup things yet. I'd like to meet other local moms and babies as well. I live in W8 on Hi St Ken. Can anyone kindly let me know when and where is the next playgroup meeting please? I don'g have a car so preferably thf meeting point is within walling distance or a short bus ride. Really appreciate it.

Jodie1000 Wed 06-Jan-10 15:10:41

Hi all, I'm due on 1 April (my 1st) and due to go on maternity leave at end of Feb. Really keen to meet local Mums in the area too, so would love to keep in touch and perhaps meet up in March. I'm in W11 (Notting Hill), so not far from High St Ken/Notting Hill Gate etc.

bunnymother Sat 13-Feb-10 20:10:51

Oh dear, I forgot about this thread - how rude, sorry. The playgroup I mentioned is every Thursdays from 9:30-11:00am, except school holidays ie not next week. Is great playgroup but v busy, so don't worry if you face a sea of faces. Seems that most come every week so you'll get to know the other mums and nannies. And the organizers are lovely.

hester Sat 13-Feb-10 20:55:27

Wow, so many locals! I live on the high street, too, but am about to move out of the area. Have you come across the playgroup at St Barnabas Church, just off the high street at the Olympia end? It's small and friendly; sometimes a waiting list, though.

bunnymother Sat 13-Feb-10 21:17:27

Thanks for the tip, Hester, and hope you move somewhere equally nice.

hester Sat 13-Feb-10 21:32:06

Thanks, bunny - nowhere's quite as nice as Kensington, but almost everywhere is much cheaper! I hope you enjoy the neighbourhood; it's a great place to have a baby. In the summer you'll enjoy Holland Park and Kensington Gardens. As your son gets bigger, you'll love the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum. Get on the tube and go to Eddie Katz in Putney; it's the most civilised soft play centre around, and you can just loaf about and drink coffee. Or get the bus down to Imperial Wharf to Gambado's. The Barnes Wetlands Centre is fantastic for children of all ages, and usually very quiet and tranquil. If you're loaded (sadly, I'm not) check out Maggie and Rose, the private family club just behind the high street - it's expensive but apparently a really great place to spend your maternity leave.

Picklehead Thu 03-Feb-11 18:12:03

Hey Shiff, I run a playgroup at St. George's Church and we have plenty of room (and you don't need to be a member to join). We're on Aubrey Walk in W8, just off Notting Hill Gate and Campden Hill Road.

We have our regular playgroup on Thursdays at 9:30 and a fairly new (so still pretty small, but friendly!) arts and crafts playgroup on Tuesdays at 10.

If you want to get in touch, drop me an email on margaret@stgeorgescampdenhill.co.uk

Mel003 Mon 07-Feb-11 22:06:56

Hi there, anyone up for an afternoon coffee this coming Thursday (the 10th) at Wholefoods on High Street Ken? Say 2pm ish. I'll be there with my 5 month old beautiful baby girl, driving a blue Quinny. Hope to see you there! All best wishes, Mel

AmyDuss Mon 11-Apr-11 20:48:10

Hey Mel,
Just moved to London from Sydney and looking for other mums to meet, have a 9 month old boy who wants some new friends!
We love Wholefoods so are up for a coffee/tea any time!

Amy

oliven Sat 23-Jul-11 17:32:45

I live off Kensington Church Street (W8) and have a 6 months old daughter and would also be up for a coffee with other mums in the neighbourhood??

Dinss Wed 14-Sep-11 21:29:22

Hi olive, i would love to meet up and also looking for playgroups in the area. Please get in touch if u want

Ameeramisr Wed 21-Sep-11 23:24:32

I am also a new mum. Baby was born on 14 September and I am looking for other mums to meet with in the Kensington area. I live off St. Mark's near the Kensington Memorial Gardens.

Ameeramisr Wed 21-Sep-11 23:26:05

Not sure how to get in touch if anyone is interested in a coffee one day in the area

RochelleW Fri 18-Nov-11 20:22:03

Hi!
I'm a full-time stay-at-home mum, and have a 19 month old daughter. I also volunteer for the Kensington & Chelsea NCT branch. We run a lot of informal and friendly (FREE) groups for mums with babies and young children. Toys and tea provided at most groups. We would love to meet you - it's a great chance to make new mum friends in the area.
Mondays - Buggy walk in Holland Park, 10am
Tuesdays - Bumps & Babies at Gymboree, South Kensington, 12.30pm
Wednesdays - Toddler Group, Science Museum, The Garden play-space, 3pm
Thursdays - Bumps & Babies at St Peter's Church, Notting Hill, 2.30pm
Fridays - Bumps & Babies at Maggie and Rose, Kensington, 10am

You can find out more details on our website: www.nct.org.uk/kensington and on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/KensingtonAndChelseaNCT.

Would love to know what you think and would love to see you there!

All the best
Rochelle

karenviolin Sun 15-Jan-12 15:49:48

There's a new choir starting in the area on Monday 23rd January 2012 - its like a singing group for mums and their babies, they sing a bit of all sorts. Should be a fun way to meet other parents. They're called Big Little Singers and can be found here:
www.biglittlesingers.co.uk

Dinss Sun 15-Jan-12 18:24:20

Hello All,

There is network support groups called Kensington Mums and we are organising our first meet up tomorrow Monday 16th Jan at 2pm at Whole Foods Kensington.
If you would like to come alone please RSVP to kensingtonmums@hotmail.co.uk

You can also join our group on Facebook to keep you in the loop with the local scoop. Please click KENSINGTON MUMS to join

Hope you can join in our discussions!

mluck Tue 07-Feb-12 11:08:56

Hello mums,

Mums And The City offers mums a unique chance to explore London with a baby through intellectually stimulating classes on our Discovery Series—including museum visits, gallery tours, guided neighbourhood walks and more. Join us with your baby on a series of themed weekly classes, specially designed to excite mums and babies, introduce like-minded mothers and encourage city exploration. Each class is pram-friendly and designed for non-walking babies

More details are on our site: www.mumsandthecity.co.uk/

In March we are offering 30% off our Museum Series, enter "marchmumsnet" for 30% at booking time.

Southkensingtonmontessori Sun 19-Aug-12 13:52:30

Hi Mums,

www.childrenworking.com

South Kensington Children Working is an inclusive playgroup for children 2.5-5 years, starting 10th September 2012. We will be running every Monday 10-11am and the first session is free. If you have some time and are able to help review our group, we would really appreciate it and hope to do something back for you.

Children Working is entirely inclusive so children with all needs are welcome but if you think your child might require special arrangements, please let us know. We encourage children to develop co-ordinate movements and there is limited buggy storage so we hope you enjoy the opportunity to take a leisurely walk to us.

We are also gathering interest for a parent-toddler group, a SEN support group and a Mandarin group. So if you are interested in any of that, do let us know.

We are hosted by Evolve Wellness Centre at 10 Kendrick Mews, South Kensington.

Hope to see you soon!

Love,
Wen
skchildrenworking@gmail.com

talstams Sun 09-Dec-12 13:42:57

Hi. I am local to the area and have a 6 month old daughter (and a three year old daughter who is at pre-school in the mornings) & wondered if anyone would like to meet for coffee?

Nursery100 Wed 19-Dec-12 19:06:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

boston1010 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:24:57

Hi Amy/Shiff,
I also just moved to London from Boson and have a 15 month old girl and have been going to coffee solo after dropping off her brother at school. I would love to join one of you if you are up for it! I live on Kensington High Street so sounds like you are both close?

Roxie93 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:07:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mamaken Thu 20-Mar-14 11:00:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

yumcha888 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:52:12

For anyone interested in Mandarin, I am running a free Mandarin playgroup at Shepherd's Bush Library (right by Westfield). We'll be there on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of every month from 10 - 10.45am, singing songs, playing games and reading stories in Mandarin. It's free to join so a great way to introduce your kids to a new language and exercise their brains while meeting like-minded parents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now