Local Talk

canterbury steiner school?

(4 Posts)
anangel Sun 01-Aug-10 10:38:18

Hi there,

anyone know anything about the canterbury steiner school? I'm getting mixed reviews.

We've been for interview as well as attending the playgroup regularly.

I'm now interested to hear what local parents have to say about the school itself - rather than the merits of steiner per se - positive and negative experiences of the kindergarden in particular.

My approach is very alternative - in particular delaying formal learning til age 6 - and we will likely end up home/unschooling later on.

A part time group setting will be useful at the moment and steiner seems the best option in Kent, though perhaps there are some alternatives in the area i dont know about.

thanks!

alice

anangel Sun 01-Aug-10 10:39:34

... I forgot to say, my son will be 3 and 8 months if he starts in september.

ta!

CookieMonstersCousin Mon 02-Apr-12 21:45:51

Hi Anangel,

I'm going to follow your thread- my DD has just turned 3 and I've been thinking of sending her there too eventually. We live in Chartham so we're in walking distance at the moment. DD attends a montessori nursery in faversham because of my work and I'm loath to put her into the steiner school just yet, especially as it would mean introducing a childminder for the rest of my working day. I don't think she's ready for that.

I suppose from what i've heard about the school (which isn't too much tbh) is that if you embrace the teaching methods then it works for you, if a parent is viewing it as an 'cheaper' alternative to other fee-paying schools (for status or to escape the state system) then they're more likely to be disappointed.

My biggest concern is whether they adhere to their teaching methods to the detriment of the children's devlopmental needs. While I beleive in delayed learning a la Scandinavia etc, I know my DD is already 'ready' to learn to read beacuse of her interest in reading.

Do you still go to the playgroup? I was thinking of joining the group on my day off but thought DD was too old already.

CookieMonstersCousin Mon 02-Apr-12 21:48:55

good god, I just realised the date on this posting!!!

blush

what an eejit!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now