Local Talk

Tell me about Southborough

(4 Posts)
rainydaysarerubbish Mon 06-Feb-12 10:41:34

We are seriously thinking of relocating to T Wells this year (currently in London) We have one DD 10 months and will be commuting to London. I just wanted to get an idea of the different areas of Tunbridge Wells. In and ideal world we would like to be in the centre but have seen a gorgeous house in Southborough and looks like you get more for your money there.

How does it feel living there does it have its own community? Do you still feel part of Tunbridge Wells? Is it good for schools?

Any info on the areas of T Wells would be greatly received

TIA

PanicMode Tue 07-Feb-12 13:03:48

Southborough is on the periphery of TW and is cheaper for a reason as it's less sought after. The common is lovely but it's really a ribbon development between TW and Tonbridge. That said, the school is rated outstanding by Ofsted. Tesco have applied for pp to build a very large store backing onto the playing fields in Southborough which will remove some of the green land and will create even MORE traffic on the A26 through S'boro, and may mean that more of the independent shops close. Apart from a very good butcher, I personally don't spend any time walking around in S'boro - just spend hours sitting in traffic going through it on the A26!

It depends what you want really - if you want to be in the thick of it, then I'd be looking closer in to the town itself - where you can walk to the amenities. But, given the age of your daughter, and if you want to go down the state school route, you need to be VERY careful where you live as catchments are shrinking and there is a huge problem with a lack of primary school places.....

The 'Village' and the area around The Grove and the MLS are probably the most sought after but are really like a little London - most people are London 'expats'. So if you are looking for something a bit different, then that maybe not what you want. St James and St John's are more mixed, Culverden gets you bigger houses with gardens, but you need to be aware that there is a huge lack of primary places and you have to live close to BD school to have a chance of getting in. Areas to avoid are Sherwood, Broadwater, High Brooms.

HTH a bit.

Shivs1974 Wed 08-Feb-12 22:08:31

My understanding is that you need to live v close to S'borough School if you want to stand a chance of getting in....so check catchments with the school.

Good park though in S'borough....

Hope this helps a teeny bit!

flatpackhamster Tue 08-May-12 10:45:38

Southborough has one advantage over central TW, which is that you can drive to Tonbridge and catch the train from there. Tonbridge has two lines running through it up to London, the Hastings and Ramsgate lines. So if you're on the north side of Southborough it'll be easier to get to Tonbridge station than TW.

Rusbridge bakery in Southborough (just near the common) is excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now