Local Talk

Moving to Whitstable

(16 Posts)
nofrills Mon 18-Jun-12 14:04:52

Thinking of fulfilling the cliche and moving from north London to whitstable.
We have a little one and don't head into central London much these days but I am used to having all the conveniences and many things for little ones to do (currently in crouch end)

I am feeling a bit nervous about the whole thing, whitstable seems beautiful and a quick web search seems to throw up lots of artsy stuff - right up my street but hoping some people I the area might be able to advise...

Is it good for young families? Good schools?
Any areas to focus property search on or avoid?
We Have been looking around nelson road but seen some beautiful and much more affordable houses around regent street - is that a nice road or is there a reason the prices are so much lower?
Do you like it there?
Is there a friendly community or are DFLs the enemy?!

Give me anything you have got on the area!!

BelleMama Tue 10-Jul-12 12:11:38

Hi nofrills - this is a late reply but hopefully still useful.
I'm in the same boat as you. We live in Dalston right now and after finding out I'm pregnant with our 2nd have decided to take the plunge and move to Whitstable. We've been visiting a while and I'm really happy that it is friendly and down to earth and at the same time creative, arty and fun. I'm just looking into pre-schools now for my toddler so will let you know.
Let me know if you take the plunge. We're moving to Nelson Rd.
xxx

nlett13 Fri 27-Jul-12 08:12:00

Hi,
I have just moved to Whitstable and have a 3 week old baby. I haven't made any contacts with other mums yet but hope to do so through the Joy Lane Children's Centre. People are very friendly and the midwives tell me there is a lot of baby's and mums living in Whitstable.
I hope both you decide or have decided to come down this way, let me know if you do.

nofrills Mon 30-Jul-12 13:40:11

Ooh great news! We are moving to Clifton Road, just going through the sale hoping to exchange soon, love nelson road but no suitable properties around the whenwe were looking.
I have an 18mnth old boy. Just get that sigh of relaxation as soon as we hit whitstable so looking forward to moving.
You will All have to keep me updated if you find good groups and classes etc.

Nativemum Wed 08-Aug-12 23:00:17

I love Whitstable and have lived here all my life. The DFL thing's a bit of a joke really, people welcome newcomers as long as they are happy to be a part of Whitstable. It's got a great sense of community and I've found it's great for mums and have been really pleased with the schools (Westmeads and the Endowed) and nurseries my children have attended. The Castle preschool is brilliant but has rather a long waiting list and finishes at 2.15. My children are older (6 and 11) now but the toddler groups in Argyll Road and Harbour Street (the lovely Diane who runs it has become a friend) are still going and there are lots of things for children around look at Joy Lane and the Horsebridge Centre. Clifton Road is a good location and I hope that you enjoy it here (I'm just over the roundabout from there so will no doubt walk past you on the way to the beach!)

bonniehm Thu 09-Aug-12 11:44:53

hi ladies,
i moved to whitstable from lee, south east london over a year and a half ago and love it. i have met lots of friends and have started a 'whitstable mum-meet up' facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/385267224822488/ if you are on facebook please join. we meet in different locations around whitstable and often go out. the mums in my groups often discuss schools etc.. if you post for info about a school / playgroup etc. they will reply. i have over 140 mums who use the page every day.
hopfully i will meet some of you soon
bonnie xxx

bonniehm Thu 09-Aug-12 11:46:44

also i meant to say there are so many DFL's i don't find it a problem. it's such a friendly town and my two little boys love it here. xx

theITguy Tue 14-Aug-12 10:32:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

I grew up in Whitstable, now live in Herne Bay but REALLY want to move back to Whitstable. Unfortunately not an option right now sad

In fact Im going to Whitstable today with DH and DS to go to the beach, eat chips and play in the park. Cant wait!

bonniehm Tue 16-Oct-12 10:01:16

Hello again ladies,
I have set up a website with two local mums that might be helpful www.whitstablemum.co.uk

We have listed EVERYTHING going on in town for children.

realt Thu 13-Dec-12 21:00:30

Hi nofrils,
Did you make it down to Whitstable? I too have moved from North London,
Muswell Hill...

Newfrills Sun 30-Dec-12 23:40:10

Hey this new local thing won't let me use my usual login name.
Yes we moved end of October.
When did you move? I am frequenting the argyle road playgroup at the mo and everyone very friendly round here but always good to hear from someone in the same boat!

Kapos123 Sun 05-May-13 21:56:54

Hello! How has the move to Whitstable been treating you? We are also living just outside Crouch End and very seriously thinking of moving. I have a nearly two year old little girl and would love to jump on the back of any research on good nurseries and primary schools and the best places to be looking to live in respect of getting into these. Is it the same insane scramble for places as London??? Any advice and general whitstable life info gratefully received...

Jeany1 Thu 23-May-13 14:24:50

Hi all, we are moving to Whitstable in Aug,has anyone any advice which schools are the better ones(and perhaps any to avoid)Also I,d be very grateful to know what areas to look to get a house in and again if anywhere to avoid.Have some ideas but nothing like speaking to 'real' people if you know what I mean,thanks

Veronica14 Wed 09-Jul-14 15:39:44

Hi All
Just wanted to see how any new movers are getting on in Whitsable?
Having finally secured a place to rent for 6 months in Whitstable we are making the move from London with our two young kids hoping for a better life by the see in a house rather than a flat!
Both have been offered a place at Joy Lane school. Seems there is no chance of getting into the town schools.
Would love to hear any reviews at all of Joy Lane. When we visited I thought it was nice and well run, great outdoor space but didnt fall in love with it. Having said that we have only been there once. Grateful for any info on the schools/Whitstable at all.
Thank you!

rubywill Thu 28-Aug-14 10:12:38

Hi
I know this thread was posted awhile ago but I see that there were a few people from North London moving to Whitstable. We are thinking of doing the same. We are in Muswell Hill at the moment and thinking of making the move.
So I would love to hear about any of your experiences. We have a daughter age 9 and a son who is 7. So will be looking at primary schools but also thinking about secondary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now