Local Talk

Should I move to Canterbury?

(3 Posts)
YellowYoYo Fri 22-Jun-12 09:42:34

Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity to move to Canterbury but do not know anything about the area.....please can you help me decide if to come or not and provide some hints and tips.

We will have about 200k to buy a home and want 3 bedrooms (might rent for a bit first). We will need to commute to CCCU and Ashford. What is Chartham like does anyone know?

I have a DS age 4 who is due to start reception this year so my next concern is schools. A quick call to Kent admissions tells me that lots of schools are fully subscribed for reception 2012. What is The Canterbury Primary school in the academy like, what about Kinsmead? Which schools should I consider please (there is no way we can afford private).

Although DS is only 4, and DD only 2 I am nervous about the idea of the 11+. Where are the best options if they fail (we are not religious), is it really stressful?

Is Canterbury a nice area for young families in general? Is it friendly enough for me to make a new set of friends (I'm very settled where I am with a great set of friends and will be sad to leave).

thanks

NenNen Fri 22-Jun-12 09:47:13

Canterbury is lovely!

200k should be ample for a 3 bed, although Chartham is a way out of the city itself but it is on the road to Ashford so good for commuting. You would need transport to get to the shops though.

Canterbury Primary is an up and coming school. Recent Ofsted was good with outstanding features (I think!)

As for meeting people, there is a lot going on in the city. It's like anywhere, you just have to put yourself out there!

chuzzlewit Sat 23-Jun-12 23:44:41

Blean is one of the best primaries in the area, slightly out of the City itself but on the bus route to Whitstable, with properties in around your price range.

Kingsmead is in the process of merging with another schoold I think, hopefully it will improve as at the moment it's not good.

There are plenty of good secondaries if you decide not to go the grammar route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now