Local Talk

Secondary Schools- Boys

(9 Posts)
Lily15 Mon 30-Jul-12 22:43:28

My DS isnt far off secondary school so just starting to look into all options.. We live on the south side of town and arent religious so right now its looks like Skinners Academy or Uplands ( he wont be taking 11+ and St Greggs and Bennett are out )Are there any private mixed or boys schools within a reasonable drive?Or any others I've missed? Any advice appreciated xx

eatyourveg Thu 02-Aug-12 19:34:31

Bethany at Goudhurst run a minibus service, Beechwood on the road out to Pembury run one from the station and a couple of other areas or Sackville in Tonbridge which runs one starting from Groombridge though most coming from T/W take the train

Boys only you have Tonbridge school but can' start there till yr 9 and Sevenaoks school which is mixed

ds1 and 3 at one of these schools so if you want more info just pm

NoSelfControl Sun 23-Sep-12 18:59:10

Hi Lily,
Not sure if this is too late but I work at one of the faith schools you have mentioned and it is a myth we only take children from that faith (I think they are 'preferred' but these days we never fill our quota with children of the specified faith) so do come to the open evenings this week and have a look around.
Please feel free to PM me if you want any further information!

Lily15 Mon 24-Sep-12 09:31:03

Hi noselfcontrol that would be fab thank you. I can't find the pm
Button though?! X

shivs1974 Mon 24-Sep-12 22:53:24

You need to click on "Message poster" which is on the right hand side of NoSelfControl's post....does that make sense? You used to have to pay £5 for PMing people...no idea if that is still the case

Lily15 Tue 25-Sep-12 10:06:48

Thanks shivs- really? £5? thats crazy! Was on my phone before- much easier to do all this on the computer!

daisybtw Wed 26-Sep-12 17:51:14

I went to Bethany and apparently it's still lovely. Great art department, dyslexic learning support unit and small classes. If that ticks any boxes for your ds I would check it out.

Whatever you do, avoid Skinner Academy!!!
Mascalls in Paddock Wood?
My DD 15, who knows about every teen in Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells says Uplands, if she had to choose, and avoid Bennett's.
We have experience with Beechwood, it was very caring and supportive, good results, and not as outrageously priced as some-£25000 a year for Tonbridge School!

Lily15 Sat 03-Nov-12 10:42:38

Hi oldernotwiser47 Have you heard bad things about Skinner's Academy? The mums I speak to say its def turned around? And can I ask why you would avoid Bennett? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now