Local Talk

Moving to Staplehurst, Kent

(7 Posts)
biglittledreams Tue 21-May-13 12:17:05

Hello all

Has anyone recently moved to Staplehurst, Kent or surrounding villages? We are thinking of moving from London to Staplehurst, we have a 2 yo daughter and I'd like to hear others' experiences of living in the area

thanks

Ginot Wed 29-May-13 08:37:12

Hi! We moved from London to Headcorn 9 months ago. We have a 2 year old daughter too! We're really glad we made the move but I still feel like we're settling in. I've made a couple of friends who I met through playgroups but we haven't really developed much of a social circle. We need to work on that!

Other than that, living here is fantastic. It's a much slower pace of life than London and people are more friendly and helpful. There is so much to do with kids around here - farms, playgrounds, soft play. And we're only 40 minutes from the beach.

Not sure if thats of any help but let me know if you have anymore questions!

x

Bunbun1 Wed 29-May-13 22:09:40

We are thinking of exactly the same move (London to Staplehurst) in November time. We have a 2 yr old daughter and another on the way. I don't have any family/friends in the area, so it is a bit random, but we are drawn by property prices, schools, commute, countryside etc etc. I'd also appreciate any info anyone has about family life down there. Thanks!

legotoe Tue 18-Jun-13 17:28:53

I would suggest Marden rather than Staplehurst. I've lived in both and Marden is much more rural, more picturesque, more villagey (and if you commute, is one stop closer in to London!) Both Marden and Staplehurst have similar shops and amenities but Staplehurst is strung out along a busy road (the A229) and when I lived there, I found it incredibly depressing having to walk along the main road with trucks thundering past to get anywhere (shops, library, church, pre-schools etc). Marden on the other hand is on a fairly quiet B-road, where you can safely let your DC scoot along the pavement (no way could you do that on the A229!).

There's probably not much to call it between the two village schools; both are well respected locally and have recently got new headteachers who hope to turn their respective schools to 'outstanding'. Our DC is at Marden school and we are very happy.

smashingbiscuits Mon 16-Dec-13 13:51:32

*Calling Legotoe*

We are about to move to Marden with a 3yo DS. Would be really great to be able to get some more info on the area and school.

If you are able to get in touch, I would love to hear from a local, esp. such a positive one.

legotoe Tue 17-Dec-13 13:44:37

Have PM'd you Smashing!

Dunwhingin Tue 07-Jan-14 22:58:23

Hi,
I'm in Goudhurst, so just up the road with a 4 year old.
Of the two villages Marden gets my vote, such a lovely village (the best Indian for miles lol) there is plenty going on, (the hockey club is a big step back in time but there is loads going on there if you are sporty) access to London the coast etc is great, you are in the middle of Maidstone, tunbridge wells and Ashford so good for shopping and the mainline station has a decent service
The countryside around Marden is lovely, there is lots to do around here
Reports on the school are great, the teachers seem happy (Staplehurst has had some problems and perhaps has a bit more to deal with, it is also substantially bigger
Happy to be a guide, I love living here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now