Local Talk

Do One Good Deed...

(3 Posts)
verity07 Sun 26-May-13 15:38:42

Hi,

Yesterday on my way into town (for an early dentist appointment!) I saw someone asleep on the bridge in a sleeping bag covered in a tarpaulin. It made me feel sad that someone was having to sleep like this. Everyone was busy getting on with their business though and we all walked past.

On my way back the young man was awake - but he looked so tired and drained. I crossed the bridge and passed a café doing a hot drink and bacon roll deal for £3. I was expecting to have work done at the dentist so had budgeted an expense for the appointment - but to my delight I didn't need any work done. Thinking about this made me realise I could definitely spare the £3 for this deal. So I bought one and took it back across the bridge to the man.

He was really pleased with the hot chocolate and bacon roll - 'I wouldn't say no!' was his response! My son is only young, but seeing this man made me think of him being someone else's son and I would hope that if my son were ever in this kind of situation I'd be there to help him. But if I couldn't, I'd want someone looking out for him. I only gave him some breakfast - but I hope this gave him a positive start to the day.

So...long story short...this got me thinking about trying to do one good deed a week/a month...

It doesn't need to be something that is bought for someone, could be something like taking my neighbours bins in for them in the morning!

Anyone with me?

misseskimo Mon 10-Jun-13 21:50:54

Hi Verity, I didn't want to just read and run on this, so thought I'd just say that was a really lovely thing you did for that man, I bet you made his day with that!
I personally prefer to "volunteer" as my giving back to the community, I find it really rewarding to be able to see people benefiting from my help in front of my eyes.
I've been an active volunteer within Healthcare settings for the past 15years now plus a few years as a "junior". First for the Red Cross, then when I was 10 I'd help out at the local hospital and community care center to where my parents used to live (back in the days when you could just walk in and volunteer in a hospital rather than now with all the CRB's and interviews/checks you have to do!) and now the last three years I've been an active member of St. John Ambulance. So I provide First Aid/Medical Cover and Patient Transport Services at various events whenever I can when I'm not working my paid job throughout the year, and during the past year have also trained to be a driver for them, so that I can now transport via ambulance if needed, and also take ambulances and other vehicles to events when required.
It's such a rewarding "job", and you learn so much (as long as your not squeamish with some of the things I've seen!) But I believe it also teaches you valuable life-saving skills that you can use in your everyday life. I myself *touch wood* haven't needed to use my skills very much outside of work, but a few of my close friends have saved peoples lives just by being in the right place at the right time, and knowing the necessary skills to help them smile

Peekaboomoo Thu 13-Jun-13 13:58:54

What a lovely thing to do <feels warm and fuzzy inside>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now