Local Talk

Moving to Sittingbourne.....in fo on areas?

(7 Posts)
Han44 Sat 23-Nov-13 23:18:36

Hi, my family and I are moving to Sittingbourne soon and we would really like some info about the area. We have seen some lovely houses in Milton Regis and Kemsley and was wondering if anyone lived around there to let us know what it's like? Also, what are the schools like; I have read the Ofsted reports but would prefer parents opinions.
Thank you!!!

minstaral Sun 24-Nov-13 13:46:17

Hello,where are you moving from?I live in Cornwall but know the area well born and bred in Kent,there are some places to avoid.

Han44 Sun 24-Nov-13 18:35:17

Ah Cornwall is lovely. We are moving from Berkshire because of my husband's job. We have seen some nice houses in kemsley near recreation way and a house near Regis manor school, but we just don't have a clue about the area. Really appreciate your help!

Floralnomad Mon 25-Nov-13 00:00:00

Hi I went to school in Sittingbourne and my mum still lives there. To give you an idea my 20 yr old refers to it as Shittingbourne ,and tbh he's not far off . Personally I would avoid Milton ,Kemsley and Murston although there are lots of new developments so it may be better than it was. I'm not sure about primary schools but for secondary its 11+ or the best of the rest is Fulston Manor . If you can you're probably best off looking for houses around the Bell rd, Woodstock rd ,Park drive area or the surrounding villages which are very nice . From a shopping POV ,the supermarkets are ok but the town itself is dire and basically pound shops ,charity shops and enough hairdressers to cut the entire towns hair in one day! . Sorry I'm not really selling it very well !

Han44 Mon 25-Nov-13 20:23:11

Thanks for your reply. Based upon your recommendation, I've had a look around those roads/villages and they do look amazing, unfortunately out of our price budget :-( I've seen the high street and know what you mean, luckily Bluewater isn't too far away! Am hoping the new developments in Kemsley (which are in our price bracket and have lovely gardens) are ok? Think me and my husband need to have a walk around in the areas to get a feel of the place.

mummyhappiness Fri 29-Nov-13 21:57:37

There's a scarcity of restaurants and no movie house at all but many local families frequent the dog track at Central Park on the euro link of a Thursday or Saturday and Sunday night and they do a super burger and chips deal. hope this helps

BrainLikeASeive Sat 18-Jan-14 09:53:48

Noooooooooo!
Shit shit shit... have you moved yet?

Don't move to kemsley!
I LIVED THERE. and its nasty.
I had twins and couldn't bear to take them out for walks. Avoiding the dog shit and broken glass... navigating around old sofas and mattresses.
We'd spent so much improving our massive 3 bed house there and sold at a loss just to get away.
we'd gone before the kids hit 1.

the new development in kemsley is nice but there's a reason the houses seem 'reasonably priced'
Have a wander around and you'll see all the glass plates on the houses... measuring movement. The place is subsiding. Its been on the news.
and... the people in old kemsley wouldn't shit on their doorstep... no... they break into the new builds!

seriously.

shittingbourne is really horrid.

move to sevenoaks... tunbridge wells.... even tonbridge.
Vigo Village is GORGEOUS.

stay away from the A2 if you don't know the areas well...
or.... only consider properties south of the a2...

oh good luck.
I really hope you haven't exchanged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now